dead but not forgotten

Re: Your disc reviewed online

Post by eeldip » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:58 pm

this is a filibuster of a lifetime.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:24 pm

Jeff's too busy checking his Paypal balance to bother with mundane details like editing. Please! :wink:

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:46 pm

eeldip wrote:
A.L. wrote:Come on man, that review review sucked.

Step up to the plate for once, CCPP.
hey, why don't you step up to the plate and review the review of the review?
Here is my review of the review:

edit: I should point out that this is the hot David Schwimmer. In other words, "**1/2" or "One Thumb Up".

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:53 pm

Heck.
I dunno what you guys are griping about? I mean how many of you have actually ever done something that has risen to the visibilty of acquiring a critique? For crying out loud, Jeff is offering a way for you to get out of the ghetto that is lame ass 3rd world recording, and step up to the caviar of published reviews. For $40 its a steal. Hell, you could pay a prostitute $100 just for her to tell you how nice your pathetic package is.
Our band tried to get a gig at a local tavern. The guy was like, "no reviews, no way dude." So I sent my $40 and a Cd to Jeff, and within months we were swimming through the gig offers. Hell, now we're siged to a major label. (wtf003!!)
So all you Jeff bashing panzies, just shut the hell up cause you're all just jealous that your reviews cant demand the same kinda cash as Jeffs.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:59 am

?

Are you guys really all so under-appreciated?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:16 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:?

Not me, so not all. Anyone else? I don't think i'm alone here. I wouldn't send you money to review my things, i guess i don't understand why anyone would. Not an attack as such, really just a question (actually a few)... what does your review mean exactly? What would that mean to someone else who may be interested in the group or artist? Do you post the review somewhere that gets a lot of hits from within the music industry or do the group just put that on their flyers or PR material? What's the full package of your review Jeff?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:01 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:?

If by "under-appreciated" you mean "unwilling to pay anyone to review anything we do, ever" then yes. Yes we so fucking are.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

dolor44
audio school

Post by dolor44 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:36 pm

Im a newbie and I find that sleazy as hell too--is this not what this site is for?I was told to never ever pay anyone to listen to your music!!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:50 am

Hmmm..My dad always just said, "never Pay anyone." But we were pirates.

Patrick 'Rhythm' Daniels
audio school graduate

Post by Patrick 'Rhythm' Daniels » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:10 am

Hello there, i'm a newbie too, but it does seem to me that Mr Robinson has written rather a lot of posts on this message board and obviously knows his business. I for one would be very interested in sending my offerings to such a professional and surely will do once my group (The Swallows -little bit of PR there) have completed our debut recordings. It's really not my place to say, but i do think some of these responses may be just a fraction heavy-handed shall we say. It appears to m that the cost is minimal and in return you recieve a fair and open critique.
Gently with that... no that... right there. Ah, that's the ticket.

http://www.myspace.com/theswallowsuk

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:32 am

It just gets better and better......
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:52 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:Hmmm..My dad always just said, "never Pay anyone." But we were pirates.

AAAArrrrggghhhh, Matey!

See you on the high seas

Pirate dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:35 pm

Patrick 'Rhythm' Daniels wrote:Hello there, i'm a newbie too, but it does seem to me that Mr Robinson has written rather a lot of posts on this message board and obviously knows his business...
OBVIOUSLY...and Steve Albini really does like my stuff....

Seriously, whether it's a true scam can be defended, but the fact that it is a complete waste of time and precious band money (which I assume you are working hard for) to pay ANYONE to listen to your music is undisputeable.. Dude..you can post your music here for free and all of us will give you a FREE critique. You may learn something, and you can quote it and put the quote in your presskit. FREE SUCKA!

TapeOp Message board order:
December the tenth, year of our Lord two thousand and four;
Let it be hereby acknowledged, understood and realized;

Any TapeOper ( hereafter reffered to as "member") who would pay Jeff Robinson any sum of money in exchange for a "critique" shall forfiet any and all rights forthwith regarding this message board in that any member who has not sent money to Jeff for this same purpose shall be unhindered in mocking, berrating, ball-breaking, slamming, harrasing, poking fun, or otherwise shooting their mouth off to the aforementioned offending member untill all activity by said member ceases on this board.

Mike

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:33 pm

Patrick 'Rhythm' Daniels wrote:Hello there, i'm a newbie too, but it does seem to me that Mr Robinson has written rather a lot of posts on this message board and obviously knows his business.
Not to discredit Jeff but having thousands of post doesn't equate to having alot of knowledge of any particular subject, though they just may. I have over 2500 posts on a different music forum. I've been "officially" doing music for a year (playing guitar for 8 years), I know much more than I knew a year ago. Other people with 2500 posts and more know much more than I do and maybe even less.

Aside from that I've seen some criticizing of Jeff here on the boards not only in this post, but I can't recall offhand where. My general impression leads me to distrust him. That may or may not be fair, but not everything is fair.

And I wouldn't pay $1 for someone to review my music. Related, see my sig quote.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:25 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote: Driven in a quest for discovering moving and emotive music, we reference music which is known versus music that is unknown. Music that is learned versus music that is as yet, unlearned. As a primary rule, we can hearken back to the words of Arturo Toscanini as he coached his orchestra, "This is music, feel something!" A release from an unknown artist must be allowed to blossom. With familiarity growing from each listen,'Destination Venus' from Todd Giudice is currently in full-bloom in this reviewers CD collection.
that is totally worth $40.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band