Downtempo/ambient project

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Downtempo/ambient project

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:08 pm

The vocalist on this project sang in time and tune with a click track. The keyboardist came and put some lines over that, and I rearranged, picked voices added some homemade percussives.

Lemme know what you think about the mix.
http://www.dogma.org/jjvsworld/Audio/Tethers073003.mp3

gone
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Downtempo/ambient project

Post by gone » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:44 am

Last edited by gone on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:26 pm

sullus wrote: What tools did you use to do the percussion? It?s really well done.
Glad you dug it.

The overall bloopy bits were done off out a couple of filtered percussion samples on my Ensoniq Halo. The loop at the end was bastardized out of a whole lot of breakbeats in Acid. There's also some miscellaneous fruityloops programming in there.
What reverb did you put on her voice? It fits the song perfectly.
Can't even remember to tell you the truth. I processed offline.
The only thing I don?t like is the piano sound that comes in around 2:08. I don?t like the piano patches on most keyboards, and I realize you have to work with what you have. It could use a little more high end to keep it from sounding murky. That?s my only nitpick.

I recorded in Cubase and then processed stuff. The piano was originally MDA piano, but I processed the hell out of it. It turns backwards midway through the song. Y'r probably right that I mighta gotten carried away with it. Hard to stop messing with stuff.

Thanks for listening!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:35 pm

that's really nice.

the verb is pretty damn perfect. and any piano that turns backwards halfway through is ok by me.

:^:

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:27 am

Great. The vocals really pull together all the blips and bloops into a smooth, coherent tune with nice slow development. Good to hear someone taking time with a song, not rushing through at 180 bpm. It creates a cool place and plays there for a while. Nice one.

47ronin
ass engineer

Post by 47ronin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:02 pm

overall pretty cool. I think the vocals are delivered well but lack focus...theres not enough bite and the lyrics arent that distinguishable. Its kind of hard to tell what kind of image the song is projecting...theres a zillion groups out there making this kind of music and you need to stand out somehow.

mjh