Windows XP question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Windows XP question

Post by lonesome_tone » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:52 pm

Hey all,

I'm a Mac user, for general computer use, but I'm looking to put together a PC for doing some PT LE home recording. Someone posted link to Digi's site with some newegg links- very helpful!

Anyway, my question is rather basic. I've never put together a computer from scratch before, so I sort of just realized I'd actually have to buy Windows. What's the difference between the Home Version RETAIL and Home Version UPGRADE?

Besides a hundred bucks! Does the upgrade require it be installed over a previous windows version, or is it simply a matter of it asking for a serial number of the old one? I have an old Windows 98 book with the reg card I could supply it if thats what it takes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Re: Windows XP question

Post by phait » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:06 pm

For the upgrade, you'll need to install a Windows 9x OS first, then XP over it. I'm running XP Home upgraded from Win 98 and it's pretty solid, but then I don't use it for audio, I have my Powerbook for that...

Building a computer is relatively easy, you just need to make sure you've cleared yourself of static before handling any component! There are many guides out there to putting one together, I'll find some links in a bit. Or if you're not comfortable putting one together, maybe you know someone who is.

I built this system for $550, not including XP upgrade ($100) or ($50 used) monitor:

- MSI motherboard
- 512 MB RAM (Kingston I think)
- 2 Ghz Intel Celeron
- Antec case
- 52 x 32 x52 CD-RW
- 256 MB GeForce 5600 XT
- 80 GB hard-drive

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:09 pm

You want to get the retail version, not the upgrade, because upgrading is a hassle even if you have windows 98. I think you can get an OEM version of xp (which doesn't give you support, which is no big deal, because noone needs tech support these days anyway, especially from Microsoft) for around $70.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:03 am

phait wrote:For the upgrade, you'll need to install a Windows 9x OS first, then XP over it.
Not true. You can install the upgrade version just as you would the regular version on a clean hard disk BUT the installer will prompt you to insert a disk of a previous version of windows (98,98se,me,2000) to verify that you did own a previous version and are eligible for the upgrade. If you can get your hands on one of these old versions, then you can use the upgrade version as a clean install.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:47 am

Shrugs. Had no idea.

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:43 am

Do yourself a favor and read this thread. I've built many PC DAWs over the years, but nothing ever came close to the performance I get following this advice.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=12407
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

myphx
audio school graduate

Post by myphx » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:07 am

I would recommend the full version of XP Professional - not XP-Home.
Less possibility of problems than with an upgrade.

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:20 am

parlormusic wrote:Do yourself a favor and read this thread. I've built many PC DAWs over the years, but nothing ever came close to the performance I get following this advice.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=12407
I bought one of these Dells new off ebay over the winter holidays and installed a gig of ram, a 128mb video card, a Western Digital SATA drive (kept the original 80 gig drive as storage), a Plextor CD/DVD burner, and a few other things that escape my mind right now. I'm running XP Pro. For the money, this machine can't be beat and it's as rock solid as any computer I've ever had, and I bought my first XT way back in the early 80s. In fact, this machine cost less than that one!

There are still some on ebay new in box. Get 'em while you can.

Cheers,
--
Don

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:12 am

Not sure if you checked out the DUC. In the 002 / Windows forum there is good info on choosing parts and building a computer.

Go to page 1 Page 1 is updated every month or so.

XP Home is all you need and is easy to install. Check out newegg.com, they have specials on XP fairly often.

It isn't that hard to put one together.

Good luck.
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:33 am

yea, you dont need xp pro.
theres NOTHING in it that will be of advantage to you for musci apps.
(its mainly networking options that are better in the pro version)

but why would go go with PT le?

go open format like cubase (more bang for the buck as well as more options)

MT
takin' a dinner break

Post by MT » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:39 pm

hammertime wrote:You want to get the retail version, not the upgrade, because upgrading is a hassle even if you have windows 98.
It's just as easy to install the upgrade as it is the scratch install - you just put in the 98 CD when the XP Installer asks for it.

Only suggestion on going XP over other options would be because of wider driver support, though many vendors state that their drivers work fine on NT/2000, etc. Something to consider, at least.

MT