RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Classic recordings that are out of tune
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

The Blue Nile thread got me thinking about other classic recordings from the pre-Auto-tune days when human beings were relied upon to either sing in key or not.

I was thinking a few years ago about how flat Duran Duran was in the early days. "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Rio" have some questionable pitch, but they're so classic. They're perfect the way they are. I never noticed until I started using Autotune how pitchy vocals can be cool.... Thank god they never tuned those songs. The backups in "Cruel to be Kind" by Nicke Lowe, the out of key solos in "All Summer Long" by the Beach Boys, and "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and Papas.

The "ahhhhh" backups in the last bridge of "No Matter What" by Badfinger. Perfectly flat.

One of my favorites is the chord squeezed out of tune in "It's the End of the World" as we Know It" by REM. What about the vocals at the end of "Fool in the Rain" by Led Zeppelin. They go so sharp that I used to think my record was speeding up. I love it now.

Roger

Tremolo Lounge Recording
www.tremolo.com

www.curtainsociety.com
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

The rhythm guitar break in Bowie's "Young Americans" is so wretchedly out of tune that they replaced it with a drum break on the recent Bowie Hits collection.

Ringo's "in the town" at the beginning of "Yellow Submarine" is sharp, if I remember correctly.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/
lobstman
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Any good Neil Young song. The ones he tries too hard to sing on just sound forced.
east3rdst
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Helmet - Meantime

I never noticed it before a friend pointed it out this year. Now I only hear out of tune bass when I listen to it. Still great though.
DryCounty
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Or anything by Guv'nor. Auto-tune would've ruined them, for sure.
Dry County Records Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

The backup vocals on the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" are SO ADT'd that they sound awfully out of tune.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." Brian Eno

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

There is a somewhat obscure album by Jefferson Airplane called "Thirty Seconds over Winterland". The vocals on it are atrocious! But there is something about the album that makes it really good, there are a couple of cool sounding songs on it. The drummer on it is one of the unsung heroes of rock drummers, Johnny Barbeta. He also played drums on the live CSNY "Four Way Street" on the electric set. The guy has a sound all his own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JGriffin
zen recordist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

I have that album. I'm gonna go play it now!

Mr PC
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Listen to "Love Me Do" and MacCartney's bass is out of tune on the A-string. Assuming that he uses that on the notes d and c. The second and third notes he plays in the song.

I don't get the "California Dreamin'" example. I mean, the vocals are human and all, but I don't think they reach the level of being out of tune. The high female part can be intoned a bit flat, but I don't think of that as being "out". All in the ear of the beholder....

PC
dayvel
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

The thing about "California Dreamin'" (and "Monday, Monday") is that the orchestral tracks are way out of tune with the vocal and rhythm tracks.
StivBatorsWreckedMyCar
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

This is so funny. I just heard Badfingers "No Matter What" yesterday and there are definitely tuning issues contained therein. Ever hear "Lady Jane" on Aftermath? Ughh.

But hey, these things can add a little character. There's a great old garage/rock band out where I live called Dead Moon. They're never in tune and on the right night they can blow away just about any band around.
SKEETER
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

I think perhaps the advent of digital tuners has ruined music for a lot of people, .... everyone has gotten so used to hearing robotic sounding music that the real magoo sounds unnatural now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Tom Waits - "Johnsburg, Illinois" off the Swordfishtrombones album. He's pretty free with his pitch anyway, but that song is like a litmus test.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

Great thread. Terminally unfashionable but JJ Burnel's vocals on the track The Raven are meh. He made the switch from bar-room brawler delivery to...what? Whispered semi-falsetto. On this LP (The Raven), and whooh. I was listening the other day and was surprised out just how weird the singing on that track actually is. He really has trouble in places. I dunno if it spoils it or not. Hard to say.

Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(The Crudballs, Tyrone P. Spink, The Fuxx, Shitters, The Geighs...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Classic recordings that are out of tune Reply with quote

A lot of old dub stuff has badly-intonated (or just out-of-tune) bass, and vocals are often pitchy when they're there at all... but still sounds awesome.

I could listen to Scientist "rids the world of the curse of the evil vampires" or "scientist meets king tubby" or basically any king tubby compilation forever...

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: