some rock-a-billy demos i did

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

some rock-a-billy demos i did

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:06 am

Well I thought I would post the results of the "Rock-a-billy" group which everyone gave me great advice for..and I also want to say thanks to everyone in this thread and the other that gave ideas and humor..

These are demos for a Swiss label that the group is hoping to get funded by..They were done live besides the vocals which were overdubbed "loud pa in the mic room bleed bleed" style..and also a toy raygun was overdubbed..They actually were really picky with the way they wanted it to sound..so many of my ideas (even though they were much better were neglected by these whiskey soaked weirdos..lol)..the thing specifically that bugged me was their insistance on using a 15$ delay pedal for the main vocal track..I hooked up an ampex 15ips slapback that was just mean and awesome but they perferred the shitty robotic sound of the Dano BLT..the singer used his shure elvis mic and that pedal like they do live and that was the theory behind that..I would have done a lot of things differently but they had a clear vision of how this demo should be..I do like it though..

technical info :

custom made upright bass (made by the player-the front and back were metal!)-bass players preamp-a 1955 tube RTR circut (no tape)-big traynor cab..shure ksm27 on the cab-audix35102 module-recorder

Gretsch reissue hollowbody of some sort - 65 reverb custom reissue - ksm27 5 feet off the amp - sytekBB - recorder

Pearl kit not reallt tuned very well and crappy cymbals - soundelux u195 in front of the kit - audix35102 - recorder

vocals - shure elvis mic - dano BLT pedal - littlelabs red-eye - hill preamp - recorder

mixed slightly in the computer then sent to 456 15ips calibrated at +3 for a smoothout..

then burned to a sony burner and converted to mp3 or windows media player files or whatever they are here..I havent listened to what the conversion did so i hope its not ruined by that..

http://www.helstab.com/creot/

look for the rock-a-billy band demo folder..

constructive criticism is welcome..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: some rock-a-billy demos i did

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:06 am

thers another folder with mp3's now..

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:36 pm

Frickin' A. :D
The guitar and bass sounds rule! I really can't stop listening to the guitar tones enough to listen to the other stuff going on right now.
I am really liking the way the vocals sound though. I was thinking track1 was a little "boxy" sounding, but that was because I didn't notice your post about the different folder containing the .mp3's. .WMA files sound like poo compared to .mp3.
Crappy cymbals rule. Step off this!!!
How far away was the Soundelux away from the kit? It is amazing how much stick articulation you got from all the bleed of the room mics... it sounds like you had an overhead of sort in there.
From a musical perspective, I can't get enough of it either.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:24 am

it was just the one u195 on the drums..no room mics were used at all anyplace..kind of low and in front of the kit maybe a couple of feet infront..a foot above the bassdrum..pointed at the snare..more overheadish than roomy..but the room is really really live..so i guess its like the best of both worlds in a way..the drums were facing a corner one wall is pine and the other is a stone fireplace with pine around it..the bass drum I had aimed right into the fireplace(I thought maybe the bass would go up the chimney or something..lol)..the guitar sound i did like a lot myself..the bass sound could have been better with a better player and we he had some trouble with his gear..short on his preamp and the cab was broken and his head was not working either..so i put a tube tape recorder between his preamp and the cab to make due..long story short i didnt like it too much..i still dont like the vocal effect at all..all things considered i do like the way it came out though..

thinking back its kind of funny because usually there are dynamics on the instruments and LDC's for the vocals..this session was the exact opposite..

thanks for the kind words about the recording..they are a fun band, self proclaimed totally unoriginal..It was the most fun I had recording in a while..hopefully they will get the funding they are seeking from the swiss label..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:31 pm

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:45 pm

cool stuff. I haven't listened to a huge amount of rockabilly, so I can't comment on the "authenticity" of the sound. not a huge fan of the vocals either, but that could be the dano pedal. overall I'd say i like it.

-d

edited 2 times for spelling and clarification. i'm dumb,

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:59 pm

they weren't really going for authentic..as much as i would like to have done that experiment..the vocal sound is mad 80's in a bad way..imo..thanks for the feedback..