I have a headache

Bear
deaf.

I have a headache

Post by Bear » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:56 pm

This song is making my right eye twitch. It has 45 tracks, which is making it a pain in the b-hole to work with. I've been playing with it for a few days, and now my perspective is shot. So if you've got time to give me some opinions on the mix, I'll touch your butt or mail you a picture of me working out. Your choice.

This song isn't titled yet ...

Thanks.
I am wangtacular.

dougo
pushin' record

Re: I have a headache

Post by dougo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:47 pm

Holy shite Bear! I love this song. The only thing I would mess around is near the end where it double times. Try maybe just a touch less kick. Not much just a hair. Other than that I think my right testicle just did the Ashlee Simpson jig it was so bitchin'

No nude workout pictures or bum rubs necessary. Perhaps you could review/critique the song I put up.

Congrats again,
dougo :o
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 pm

dougo wrote:Holy shite Bear! I love this song. The only thing I would mess around is near the end where it double times. Try maybe just a touch less kick. Not much just a hair. Other than that I think my right testicle just did the Ashlee Simpson jig it was so bitchin'
Awesome! Glad you liked it. And yeah, I went a little kick heavy. I'll reel that one in a tad. Thanks.

No nude workout pictures or bum rubs necessary. Perhaps you could review/critique the song I put up.

Congrats again,
dougo :o
Deal.
I am wangtacular.

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:40 pm

OOOOH I like it. Sounds good Bear. Can't say much just that it sounded great.

I just got one question though where those acoustic drums?
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:37 pm

texlop wrote:OOOOH I like it. Sounds good Bear. Can't say much just that it sounded great.

I just got one question though where those acoustic drums?
Thanks, sir. But yeah. Not a lot of acoustic drums on this record. 90% of it is sequenced, and most of the sounds don't come from drums, but from random noises. This is one of the more normal tracks so far.
I am wangtacular.

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:22 am

Man 45 tracks is a butt load I can barely handle 8 imagine doing 45 tracks on Pro Tools that is a lot of scrolling
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

loosegravel
gettin' sounds

Post by loosegravel » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:45 am

I want more vocals. I like the guitar break at 2:30 and the drum/guitar match up in the part after.

Maybe use a little compression on the electronic drums to make them a little more squishy in the last half. I think the first half is already squishy. But I dont know how much that helps cause I know you have a pretty defined programming pattern.

I think its on the right track. just give it some time. good job.
"Oh MANNN, MY MOTU"

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:01 pm

loosegravel wrote:I want more vocals. I like the guitar break at 2:30 and the drum/guitar match up in the part after.

Maybe use a little compression on the electronic drums to make them a little more squishy in the last half. I think the first half is already squishy. But I dont know how much that helps cause I know you have a pretty defined programming pattern.

I think its on the right track. just give it some time. good job.
Thanks. These are good tips. I haven't done any compression on the latter half of the drums, so I'll play with that. Check on the more vocals, too. Word.
I am wangtacular.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:59 am

I think your headache's been worth it Bear, this is really nice. Yeah, vocals could do with being louder and the kick could come down a little, but you're so nearly there as far as i can see. Really great. Never got your CD, i'm even more annoyed now. Give me the disc Ben!
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:07 am

On repeat listening, i think maybe the kick at the end sounds a little wooly and could do with tightening up a little. Vocals better level towards the end, but still not loud enough, can hear that you're singing, but not what you're singing about. It's a taste issue, but the build-up snares and cymbals (our hands, our mouths -that bit) sound like sythesised drums that are trying to sound real, and my taste's usually prefer one way or the other.

That all sounds negative, but this really is a nice tune and wanted to tell you it all, i'm looking forward to hearing the whole record.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:13 am

Sorry for keep coming back, but i've been listening over a few times, really like the line 'i've lost my taste for modern things' and thought that's a nice title too. I've really enjoyed picking out the lyrics, especially in the first two verses.

Any news on your book by the way, how's it coming along?

I'll leave you alone now, but good work.

rigsbysmith.com

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:48 pm

Awesome, Rigs. Thanks for the comments. They're all valid, and I'll be playing with all those points in a couple days (I took a week off from hearing this to regain some perspective). And I'm glad you like the words. I always put a lot of time/thought into them, so it's cool when people listen.

And I sent another package, but it got returned again. It keeps saying incomplete address/address not found. You sure you've got it right? Try Pming me one more time, and make sure it's got all the information you can think of, and I'll double check with what I've been jotting down. The post has been giving me hell lately, but I'd like to see what you think of some finished records.

As for the book, I'm still editing it. Painting and music have been the focus lately, so I get about chapter edited each week. If that. I'll finish it one day, though. Thanks for asking, though.
I am wangtacular.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:22 pm

I like it Ben!

It kind of makes me think of billy corgan and the postal service. I hope that doesn't offend you.

I hate to suggest MORE tracks but:
I'd rather hear acoustic drums than samples during the build "our hands our mouths" etc. It sounds like it could be really powerful, but isn't quite as dynamic as you'd get on an acoustic set. You could also just rework the sequencing to get a similar effect i'm sure through a different build.

More vocals.

More of some kind of a bass instrument. I'm listening on small speakers, but I can't hear much bass stuff happening at all. Also, the drums were popping out a bit too much in some parts with the hard panning.. almost like clipping. These speakers are terrible, so take that with a grain of salt.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:26 pm

Disregard the clipping comment. It was on my end. Stupid computer speakers.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:08 am

I like it a lot, great work!! Need some guitar on there??
Bear wrote:This song is making my right eye twitch. It has 45 tracks, which is making it a pain in the b-hole to work with. I've been playing with it for a few days, and now my perspective is shot. So if you've got time to give me some opinions on the mix, I'll touch your butt or mail you a picture of me working out. Your choice.

This song isn't titled yet ...

Thanks.