producer deals

rodsher
audio school graduate

producer deals

Post by rodsher » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Everybody,

Hopefully someone can answer some basic producer deal questions for me. I realise there are plenty of exceptions to the rule and by no means is there a "standard" for producer deals...particularly on indie projects where better back-end deals are the norm. My question is this: When calculating a producer's points(let's say 3), what money has to be recouped before the producer starts to get paid. Say the recording budget is $25,000($5000 paid to producer) and then an additional $50,000 is spent on promotion, etc. and other post-recording things. Should the producer start recouping after $25,000 worth of records are sold or $75,000?? To put it another way, does ALL money spent on a project have to be recouped before the producer starts making money or just the money spent on the RECORDING?

Also, I know its common for producers, once the record is recouped, to get paid retroactively from the sale of record #1. How common is this and how much of a stickler should I be on this point in my producer deal? Obviously a small indie label is concerned about that period of time where they might owe the producer his retroactive point money and they have only just broken even. I want to be fair, but I also want to get my due.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I love the board...I'm a long time peruser, first time poster.

Rod

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Re: producer deals

Post by hapbeat » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:02 am

there's nothing standard anymore, unfortunately; but I always insist my points are from record 1, no recouping of anything; bands deals are structured so that they're the ones lumbered with advances for any damn thing the label can think of. I also never agree to any studio costs deducted from my fee - you work or nothing doing that - likewise, liability for overruns(and if you agree to that, a label will have you remixing forever at your own expense). But you get what you can - just don't agree to anything that will actually cost you.

violet biggs
studio intern

Engine Ears needs help

Post by violet biggs » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:38 am

Hello,

For the past 2 years, I have been filming interviews and studio sessions with engineers, bands and producers for my film Engine Ears. Some interviewees include, Steve Albini, David Bottrill, GGGarth, Richie Hawtin, John Parish, Solex, Calvin Johnson and Larry Crane etc...

At this point in the project I could use a producer to help out.

If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this project.

Thanks,
Violet

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anewman » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:32 am

Check out "Confessions of a Record Producer" by Moses Avalon. He suggests that the producer is immune from recoupment most of the time.

see also http://www.mosesavalon.com

Cheers,

-Adam
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:29 pm

Track down Mitch Easter. He's got a good one.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

violet biggs
studio intern

engine ears

Post by violet biggs » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:34 am

hey,
thanks for the input! i'll check into it.
violet