Harddrive question!!!!!PLEASE

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
justhitthebutton
gettin' sounds

Harddrive question!!!!!PLEASE

Post by justhitthebutton » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:17 pm

would someone please please answer this question for me. has anyone had troublem with the lacie d2 extreme series of harddrives? i have read and been told that they contain acually 2 discs and are not that reliable. does anyone have experience with them?

otter
audio school graduate

Re: Harddrive question!!!!!PLEASE

Post by otter » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:52 pm

i bought one about a month ago and have had no issues yet. i haven't heard anything about them containing two seperate physical disks...
i find that hard drives are like cars...you can get lucky (or unlucky) with any brand any time. of course, it should always meet the base specs, 7200 rpm, 911 bridge chip, etc... but i've used several brands now and none of them have consistenly sucked but of course there is always the occasional dud.

justhitthebutton
gettin' sounds

Post by justhitthebutton » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:05 pm

thanx for the reply. i have read online and been told by a few "audio/video geeks" aka grad students the they do indeed use 2 discs and any recovery would be very hard if there ever was a crash. but this is coming from those who arent spending their money on these things. its the universities money and if i had a loose account i would buy the best too. i agree that its like a car. some are duds. some rock. i am about to buy one for PT LE on a powerbook. thanx

Toddf
takin' a dinner break

Post by Toddf » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:48 pm

We have been using these and have had no problems. Actually they do any computing tasks faster that the regular D2 Lacies. Consolidating etc.

Todd
Todd Fitzgerald
Producer/Engineer
Winterland Studios
Minneapolis, MN
www.winterlandstudios.com