Pro Tools Free

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Pro Tools Free

Post by 01100011 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:10 pm

Everybody's X wrote:according to the tapeop ezine deal its a problem with IE, if you use firefox (and you should) it will pull up the right link
yeah after i found that IE hasn't had like a security upgrade or something for a long while i stopped using it. I liked the tabbed browsing of firefox anyways and it has more search engines built into the menu bar. never got used to using safari even though thats pretty good too....

decibully
audio school graduate

Post by decibully » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:25 pm

01100011 wrote:
AnalogElectric wrote:Has anyone tried running it in XP with program selection on 98 or a Mac that has OS9 under OSX?
i have a g4 with OSX and classic 9...and i tried running the free PT with classic nine and kept getting errors.... :|
same here... one of the downloads they offer is "sound check", a sample session so you can start experimenting with editing right away. when i tried to open this, it would load the tracks but never open a window i could work in. the whole menu bar was grayed out.

plan B: i started a new session then tried to import an audio track i created in "sound studio". it appeared to load then told me it was too fragmented to be played.

plan c: i put the "sound check" files on an external usb2 drive and tried to load them from there. this seemed to work and i had a session open with the sample song. but all the tracks seemed to be blank. the song would play. i had faders-a-flyin' numbers rolling but no wave forms and no sound coming out of the speakers! (yes, i had my I/O settings correct)

WTF?

decibully
audio school graduate

Post by decibully » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Oh yeah.... when i tried to record a new track i got "cannot allocate space for recording!" :cry:

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:50 am

Between Audacity and Garageband (using both in conjunction, one for mulitracking, one for singletracks over a scratch and processing), I'm getting professional-quality recordings for no money. I don't even plan on getting Protools at all. It really is how you use it.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:42 pm

... there's always cracks available for cubase.....

morte sicura
audio school

Post by morte sicura » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:18 am

My experience with ProTools Free on an iBook is that it will work fine if you have a system that will boot into OS 9, which of course is different than running in Classic mode. This means a G3 iBook (or most TiBooks). PT Free actually needs a partition with only 9 installed, so in order to get it to work, I partitioned my drive - one partition for OS X and the other for OS 9, and I installed PT Free on the 9 partition. Then I could choose the OS 9 partition as my startup disk. With this setup it worked fine. It's really easy to do this, apart from the fact that you will be erasing your HD, which of course requires that you have backups of everything you need to keep! That and the fact that a G4 iBook, newer G4 15" PBs, and all 12" and 17" PBs will not boot into 9. I hope we eventually get an OS X PT Free, but I am not holding my breath. Hope this helps anybody who wants to run PT Free!

-Andrew