mac mini? hmmmmmmm.....

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: mac mini? hmmmmmmm.....

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:24 am

I like macs, but one problem with them is that when mac change connections and compatability as they do from time to time you're kind of forced to upgrade or get left behind, so you either fork out or hope eBay will have something for you when something goes wrong. PCs are definately more easily adapted.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am

Tim Casey wrote:I'm doing an awful lot more than my PC friends are.
with all due respect, does this have anything to do with what type of computer you're using? if so, i have a hard time digesting the assertion that somehow mac users inherantly get more done. i cook an awful lot more rice with my sanyo rice cooker than my pal does with his panasonic but that doesn't mean shit.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:43 am

ihavecomputer wrote:
Tim Casey wrote:I'm doing an awful lot more than my PC friends are.
with all due respect, does this have anything to do with what type of computer you're using?
Actually, it does if you're always having to deal with viruses, spyware and such on your computer.

All I know is, in over 10+ years with internet access on my Macs and my friends macs, we've had a total of about 4 viruses between us - all harmless. I cannot say the same for all our friends using PC's. I use both mac and pc on a daily basis for the last 8+ years and, in my experience, PC's are more prone to quirky problems - driver installs, hardware installs going awry, etc. - not the same on any of the macs (I've worked in places with anywhere from 4-50 pcs and macs at everyones desks..). Getting some basic things working - networking, for instance, has been about 10x easier on the macs. I've never had any problems with driver conflicts on any Mac - not so with the PC's.

Yes, the Mac has fewer software choices - but the quality of the software tends to be significantly more solid across the board than what you get on PC's. I can't think of much that you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac. Sure, if you're a gamer, the choices are significantly less, but if you're into games that much go ahead and get a PC - no one is stopping you.

You may not agree with Apples' marketing, but you have to admit that they sure make things LOOK interesting, not to mention it all functions quite seamlessly - otherwise why would all those PC manufacturers keep aping them? Apple innovates while others just imitate.

Personally I think most people that bitch about Mac's only WISH they could afford one.

:)
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:47 am

bombastique wrote:Personally I think most people that bitch about Mac's only WISH they could afford one.

:)
Amen Brother! :D

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:52 am

yeah that definitely clinches the argument.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

aishabag23
gettin' sounds

Post by aishabag23 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:33 pm

you know, i was going to say that many posts ago but i thought i would get crucified!

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:38 pm

bombastique wrote:Apple innovates while others just imitate.
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/240

I prefer macs to PCs, but I just wanted to say that they didn't come up with the idea for a mini home computer, or at least they wern't the first to market it. That's just one example. There are plenty of mini PCs.

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:30 pm

with all due respect, does this have anything to do with what type of computer you're using?
Well, yeah, kind of. My friends that have PCs seem to have a bitch of a time getting things to run smoothly year in and year out. We trade files alot, and the only problems I've run into is when my Windows friends say their computer's doing something weird, and as soon as they figure out how to set it right again, they'll send me a file. And when I'm visiting their studios, the computer seems to crash a lot more often than what I'm used to having to put up with (my USB mouse cursor freezes in Digital Performer about three times a session and I have to unplug it from the keyboard and plug it back in to set things right).

Granted, some of my Mac friends have computer problems, but it's usually because they're techno-phobes and need to have a process explained to them.
one problem with them is that when mac change connections and compatability as they do from time to time you're kind of forced to upgrade or get left behind
I also lost a lot of sleep when Apple abandoned floppy discs, serial and ADB ports, and SCSI drives all in one fell swoop, but I got over it (I sprung for the G4). Other than that, all my outboard equipment has been compatible throughout all the OS upgrades I've gone through.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:46 am

megajoe wrote:
bombastique wrote:Apple innovates while others just imitate.
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info ... cts_id/240

I prefer macs to PCs, but I just wanted to say that they didn't come up with the idea for a mini home computer, or at least they wern't the first to market it. That's just one example. There are plenty of mini PCs.
I was speaking generally. However, let's harken back to the Mac Cube which, I'm sure, was well before this piece came out.

Next.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:39 am

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:52 am

zing!

:wink:
- Hunter S. Thompson

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:43 pm

Tim Casey wrote:"youre starting to sound like ashly simpson"

You mean he's not REALLY typing his replies in real time?
i mean that he constantly keeps explaining himself, and looking dumber each time.

did i REALLY need to explain that one to you?

:roll:

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:06 pm

Well why don't you share your opinion if you have one, rather than just make jokes wich are neither funny or interesting. Then it'll be our turn to laugh at how stupid you are.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

mungojeff
audio school

Post by mungojeff » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:44 pm

I've used macs for years with virtually no trouble. I think I may try and pick one of these up to replace my hilariously outdated (and yet still rockin) G3 beige desktop (purchased used for $125). I want to run MOTU digital performer with a firewire external drive to record tracks and a MOTU 828 FW interface. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I can get away with the 512Kram or should I swallow hard and get the gig. I am on a budget and still have to get some new monitors as well.

I also still have my original Mac SE which still rocks on as a live sequencer. The extra money I paid for it in like 1986 or 87 seems worth it now since I'm sure I get more use out of that than your average PC purchaser from back then does for thier unit from that era (except perhaps in the international space station).
Peace

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:51 pm

If you get the gig, by it somewhere other than Apple. Otherwise, I've been running DP with 512 for years with no problem.