RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Music & MP3s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Velvetfreddy
audio school

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Here's a link to some mp3's of a girl I recorded recently. Vocal mic is a Marshall V77, old Mackie console(a toy), and a 1973 MCI 2" 16 track.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/niceley

thanks..
LEE TYLER
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Dear FuzzyFreddy,
This gal has a beautiful voice and a very cool vibe. Like her a lot. I also like what you did with the three 2 minute songs I did review in "hi-fi" streaming format. Shocked Balance sounds nice. Effing Marshalls can be great on vocals. Would love to hear a snippet of this at CD quality levels. Good job and best of luck! --Lee
Velvetfreddy
audio school

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Hey Lee- thanks a bunch for the kind words, and yeah, it does help to have real talent to record. She is truly a great singer and a real artist. And what an amazing time where a broke-dick guy like me can scrounge up an old tape machine and some Chinese mics and actually almost get some sounds that assimilate some of my favorite records.
The hi-fi stream is cool, but the lo-fi is real depressing for me to listen to. We purposely didn't use much compression on this music, and that apparently doesn't work to our advantage in the modern truncating, dithering, and digital compression world we live in. Sounds ok on a real rig though.
thanks again--
the ointments
audio school

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

ive always been a fan of jennifers , ive even played a couple shows with her down in nashville
reagan
Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Howzit?

Thanks for turning us on to Jennifer N.

Breathy but with real sense of pitch and that's lacking from some of the softer (airier?) singers.

Don't be too hard on yourself when it comes to posting compressed files - its a skill all its own and its never going to sound like the control room (or the living room!) anyway.

Dimentionality and imaging -> forget it. A good approximation of a great performance, this can be done.

I'd made some "website" mixes for bands that don't sound too horrible. I've used the LAME (browse "LAME player") based encoder but put a heavy hand to panning (L--C--R), boosted solo and lead lines [EQ and levels], rolled off the extreme lows and compressed lovingly.

Most emportantly to getting pleasing results was that I wasn't afraid to encode a test mix to hard disk then listen and tear it apart if I wasn't happy with the result.

A lot of work if you're being paid in beer but good results can be had. Maybe developing this skill could get you some gigs, or (like me) some free reeferinos!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Bill

***** Sound Science & Soul *****
Velvetfreddy
audio school

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Hey Bill-
Thanks for your support on the whole MP3 subject. I guess maybe my problem is that I place so much importance on dimensionality and imaging. Many of my favorite records are old Bill Putnam or Rudy Van Gelder recordings where the dimensions and space between the instruments is truly golden. You can hear the air around the notes. This seems to be lost in today's world of MP3's, boomboxes, and hurried downloads. But having said all that- I guess Norah Jones 1st record is quite the exception to this. It's interesting when you hear one of those songs in a restaurant out of a 70 volt speaker from an MP3 file, unless it's really loud, it's basically just vocal. No subtlety. I guess the vocal and songs are just that good.(?)
comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Velvetfreddy wrote:
Here's a link to some mp3's of a girl I recorded recently. Vocal mic is a Marshall V77, old Mackie console(a toy), and a 1973 MCI 2" 16 track.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/niceley

thanks..

Sounds great... I think I'm hearing the 2". The songs are nice, the voice is great (sort of toned down Lucinda to my ears).

I was going to buy the CD, but they're out on CD Baby.
Velvetfreddy
audio school

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jennifer Niceley-V77-Mackie-2" 16 track Reply with quote

Hey Comfortstarr-- thanks. Just in case you're still interested, they're back in stock. ---yes, I'm pathetic and shameless...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Music & MP3s All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: