contact cleaner

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
AdamO
audio school graduate

contact cleaner

Post by AdamO » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:27 am

Hello,
I am not new to the recording process, having recorded 4 CD's in various studios, however I am just starting my own recording here in my home.
I am running a Behringer Eurorack MX2642A that I got used as a mixer just ahead of my DAW. Problem is, some of the input and outputs on the board are dirty.
I was wondering what the knowledgable team here at TapeOp might recommend to clean out whatever the gunge is inside these 1/4 inch balanced in and outputs (they are the ones coming back from the Delta 44's main outs for "2 track monitoring").
Thanks in advance, and if this post kind of trails off into nonsense-land, I have been up all night reading this kick ass messageboard!
-Adam
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: contact cleaner

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:02 am

Caig DeoxIT-D5 is a product that improves, deoxidizes, seals, and protects contacts..maybe a squirt of that might help in the short term..but eventually you might have to replace the parts or it may be cheaper to just trash it and buy a new MX2642A..

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:05 am

WD-40 laugh but its the best and sometimes least harsh. Just don't spray your equipment full of it. You can spray it into pots, or to clean a jack/plug put a little on an old plug and slide it in and out of your jack. (multi female male in and out sliding jokes here) It will also prevent corrosion.

Some contact cleaners even have abrasives in them to polish, save them till the last resort.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:17 am

Sorry, but WD-40 is about the worst thing you could use. That'll gunk things up faster than anything.

Use the CAIG products - they're much, much better.

Also, consider getting a burnishing tool if the gunk is really caked on.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:04 am

Is there any problem using acetone?

anybody?

AdamO
audio school graduate

Post by AdamO » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Thanks so much for the quick replies! Now I just have to figure out where I can get DeoxIT in Canada. Google - awaaay!
-Adam
f**k live!
-C. Jennings, when asked "but how do I recreate this on stage?", on recording my last album.

Gold
audio school graduate

Post by Gold » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:43 pm

Acetone is a very strong solvent. It won't hurt metal but it will destroy just about anything else. Be very careful. I wouldn't use it.

For metal contacts use contact cleaner for other things like plastic or carbon parts use a cleaner/degreaser. Only use a very little and excersize the pots/switches/contacts ect. Before using anything try excersizing the parts. In the case of the jacks on the back of a console take a plug and work it in/out vigorously. It might solve the problem. Compressed air sometimes works too. The stuff in a can is useless. You need a real air compressor with a filter.

AdamO
audio school graduate

Post by AdamO » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:25 am

Just to bring things full circle:

I couldn't track down any CAIG products in the area, so I got a can of the best non-lubricant contact cleaner I could find and blasted my jacks with them. A few minutes later my system now sounds ridiculously better. I am actually embarassed that what I thought was my mixes being a little crunchy on top was just crap in my connections. :oops:
Thanks once again for the great advice. Sure it was common sense to some degree, but I am grateful to have the last word be a PRO "ok" from you guys.
Cheers!
-Adam
f**k live!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:51 pm

I'd still find a Caig source on the internet and get DeOxit, and ProtectIt, also. The ProtectIt works well to keep connections clean a while longer...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.