US plans 'robot troops' for Iraq

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: US plans 'robot troops' for Iraq

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:51 am

Great - not only will the US be the Evil Empire, it'll have impersonal robots instead of people in the field.

Depersonalizing the enemy is one of the most common things done in wartime. This will make it a lot easier for our enemies to hate us.

Ever wonder if the purpose of this war was to test out weapons systems?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

It's like arguing with a parrot.

Post by Mr. Dipity » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:05 am

The Foster-Miller company is owned by the QinetiQ Group, a joint venture between the UK's Ministry of Defence and US-based holding company, Carlyle Group.
That means half the Clinton administration and Michael Moore are responsible for this....
I found the repeated mentions of Michael Moore 'owning' or 'being linked to' the Carlyle group important, to say the least, since it's the most powerful (only?) argument I have that casts a reasonable shadow on the objectivity of farenheit 911 film, and, like most of us, heard it repeated (here and elsewhere) so vehemently and frequently that I assumed that there must be a grain of truth to the matter.

So, I googled 'Carlyle Group Michael Moore'. What do I get? This press release snippet, digested over and over and over:
Not content with lambasting the Bush administration, Michael Moore?s Fahrenheit 9/11 is now poised to bite the very hand that feeds it - albeit inadvertently.

One of Moore?s prime targets is the Carlyle Group, a Washington DC-based investment firm that allegedly links the Bush and Bin Laden families. The trouble is that the company recently became co-owner of the very cinema chain due to screen Fahrenheit 9/11 across America.

On its US release this Friday, Moore?s film will play on 59 screens of the Loews cinema chain. But Variety reports that the chain is now part-owned by the Carlyle Group, a defence contractor that Moore derides as a war profiteer with extensive ties with the Bin Ladens and the Saudi royal family. The first president Bush worked as a highly paid adviser to the company, while James Baker - chief of staff under Ronald Reagan - is currently employed as a senior counsellor.
His movies are showing at a theater chain that was bought out by the Carlyle group. Somehow, the man is morally responsible for what his bosses and business associates do, after the fact. Brilliant. It's like arguing with a parrot.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: US plans 'robot troops' for Iraq

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:16 am

high tek wrote:"Mr Quinn says there are plans to replace the computer screen, joysticks and keypad in the remote-control unit with a Gameboy-style controller and virtual-reality goggles.
Frightening.

It would be cool to have one for personal use though, sans guns etc, i'd much rather send it to work and work virtually from home, somehow virual work seems like way more fun than attending yourself, and besides, you could do it in your pajamas.

How do you spell pajamas by the way?

In all sincereity though, the US government gets seems to get more frightening everyday.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com