help me get my Delta 1010LT fine tuned?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
andrew embassy
george martin

help me get my Delta 1010LT fine tuned?

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:52 pm

The thing sounds great; I'm super pleased with the sound quality, but I get stuttering during playback in ACID PRO 4.0 with the triggering of a lot of samples.

This didn't happen with my old soundcard (the stock soundcard on my machine). That card would only allow me to record at 16 bit 44.1Khz; is this a factor?

I've got a 2.5G Celeron processor with 512megs of Ram running Windows XP

I've got the DMA Buffer Size set at the highest setting- 2048 samples, and I'm recording at 24bit/48Khtz

Where should I start to troubleshoot? The buffer settings didn't seem to make much difference.

Thanks!
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Slider
george martin

Re: help me get my Delta 1010LT fine tuned?

Post by Slider » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:35 pm

Have you checked the driver settings in acid?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:57 pm

Try playing with your buffer/latency settings. I'm pretty sure this is a feature on the 1010. Generally with soundcards, longer buffer=higher latency (in ms), but more solid performance, 'specially handling multiple sound-streams.

You might also see if your card's clock source is set funny (different from program to driver).

Further, check Acid's wave output config page. You may have a couple different drivers available to you. Check and see if there are any that fix the problem.

Oh, and in general its a pretty good idea to write down or grab screen caps of where config parameters were before you started messing with them, so that you have a zero state.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:00 pm

Did you check and see if recording in 16-bit helped? Not that I'm advocating do so regularly, but doing some test recording narrow the shape and size of the prob is helpful.

Do you have a AGP video card or PCI?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:02 pm

And he's triple-posting. What a l0s0r.

Also, have you tested any other audio programs to see if they work? 'Specially other DAW/sequencer/whatever progs that handle multiple audio streams are good to a/b against.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:29 am

I have a very old, slow computer, and I set my latency (buffer) to the highest it can go... then I just monitor through my mixer and tracktion lines everything up perfectly for me. So far it's been very stable compared to before, when I had it on the lowest setting because I was afraid of latency.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:52 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Try playing with your buffer/latency settings. I'm pretty sure this is a feature on the 1010. Generally with soundcards, longer buffer=higher latency (in ms), but more solid performance, 'specially handling multiple sound-streams.
I've got the latency set at 2048 (or something) samples, which works out to 10ms, I think, something like that.
apropos of nothing wrote: You might also see if your card's clock source is set funny (different from program to driver).
The clock is set to the card's internal clock, so I think that should be okay.
apropos of nothing wrote: Further, check Acid's wave output config page. You may have a couple different drivers available to you. Check and see if there are any that fix the problem.
I'm not sure where to find this or what it does exactly- clarification?
apropos of nothing wrote: Oh, and in general its a pretty good idea to write down or grab screen caps of where config parameters were before you started messing with them, so that you have a zero state.
Good idea : )

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:14 am

apropos of nothing wrote:Did you check and see if recording in 16-bit helped? Not that I'm advocating do so regularly, but doing some test recording narrow the shape and size of the prob is helpful.

Do you have a AGP video card or PCI?
I have a AGP card, but I went into windows settings and made the display performance as bare bones as possible and it seemed to really help things.

Would more RAM be in order? I've got 512 right now, should I be looking at upgrading to a gig or so?

Andrew

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:04 am

andrew embassy wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote: Further, check Acid's wave output config page. You may have a couple different drivers available to you. Check and see if there are any that fix the problem.
I'm not sure where to find this or what it does exactly- clarification?
Um, Options->Preferences->"Audio" tab.

On this page there are two relevant options. The first is "Audio playback buffering". Crank up that value and see if that helps.

The second is "Audio device type". There should be a couple of different driver options in there. Check and see if one of the others works better for ya.

More RAM never hurts, but I don't think its the issue in this case. 512 oughta be plenty.

Also, if you haven't done so, its not a bad idea to disable the onboard sound. In BIOS if you can, but certainly in Windows.