Recording Ukulele

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
The_Donfather
audio school graduate

Recording Ukulele

Post by The_Donfather » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:42 pm

I have been having trouble with getting good recording sounds from a ukulele. Has anyone out there recorded any and got sounds that they were pleased with?? I have tried several different mics with various eq going on but haven't found anything I like. Any suggestions would help.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Re: Recording Ukulele

Post by brian beattie » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:29 pm

My favorite uke recording was with a microtech geffel um-70 through a daking, no comp, 6 inches away or so. But I got lovely results with a shure 300 ribbon mic a bit off axis, as a vocal and uke mic. Hell if I know. any hawaiians out there?
brian

guitar4lyfe
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by guitar4lyfe » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:29 pm

I have a ukelele and I would think it would be hard to record it because of its low volumes. I would think a nice condenser as close as 4-5 inches

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:05 pm

First of all, it's like any recording any acoustic instrument - the quality of the instrument is the most important thing, and then its teh technique of the player.

I like Martin ukes the best, followed by Kamaka, but the Fluke has a very nice even tone.

I use a C414 BULS at 9-12 inches away, at the neck but pointing down to the body, if you have to close mike. Personally, I like the classic sounds of people surrounding a single mike in a great room and getting that old-time aocustic string band feel (think mountain music).

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:22 pm

I did a mandolin with the 4041 and it came across great......I'd guess that the instruments are working in somewhat the same frequencies.....