MOTU 828 analog i/o problems

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
roy
alignin' 24-trk

MOTU 828 analog i/o problems

Post by roy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Howdy,

I have an original MOTU 828, running on a 700 MHz PIII that is giving me a few problems. Now before you focus in on my PC, the 828 behaved in the same manner on a Titanium G4 laptop.

The analog in's and out's on the 828 do not seem to pass audio. It receives audio from the computer, but does not send it out. It also receives audio from the line in, but does not send it anywhere. The only audio I get is a lovely static hiss.

A few more interesting facts. This behavior is most of the time, but not all of the time. I cannot force it to happen, nor can I force it to stop happening. Also, the digital i/o via S/PDIF and Lightpipe work great. No problems.

Anyone seen anything like this before. I would really like to keep this interface since I got it for a song (free).

Thanks,
Roy

honeytone
studio intern

Re: MOTU 828 analog i/o problems

Post by honeytone » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:10 pm

Such a basic issue, but this could be it - have you configured it so it will pass audio?? if you haven't, the easiest way to do it is to select the headphone looking tab on the menu bar of the audio window. could be it, prob not...
If an idea is at first not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
- Albert Einstein

roy
alignin' 24-trk

Re: MOTU 828 analog i/o problems

Post by roy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:45 pm

Hey, sometimes it is the simple stuff, but that is not it. Another symptom of this thing is that it shows activity on the analog i/o lights even when nothing is happening...

Anyone have a spare 828 they would be willing to sell me for a song?

Roy