Pro Tools question

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
plasticface1
audio school

Pro Tools question

Post by plasticface1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 pm

Does anyone have an answer to this?

It doesn't happen every time but often enough to drive me up the wall. I open a new P.T. file from my external drive and when I open it later it says that "X amount of audio files are unsuitable for playback. Would you like to copy them to a suitable audio volume?" I end up copying them to my desktop (which I admit is retarded) because that't the only place that I can open them from, which is defeating the purpose of an external drive. Any suggestions?

mattb
ass engineer

Re: Pro Tools question

Post by mattb » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:08 am

Give me some more info I may have the solution.

Computer: Mac or PC
Type: Desktop or Laptop
Pro Tools Type: LE or TDM
Pro Tools software version

-Matt B

www.brokenradio.com

Working Musician
audio school

Post by Working Musician » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:23 pm

plasticface1 wrote:Does anyone have an answer to this?

It doesn't happen every time but often enough to drive me up the wall. I open a new P.T. file from my external drive and when I open it later it says that "X amount of audio files are unsuitable for playback. Would you like to copy them to a suitable audio volume?" I end up copying them to my desktop (which I admit is retarded) because that't the only place that I can open them from, which is defeating the purpose of an external drive. Any suggestions?

Sounds as if the external is too slow.

USB 1-2 or firewire?

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:19 pm

taking a stab because this answer comes up a lot...

if you are on PT 6.x on a Mac (and maybe windows, I don't know) you have to qualify all of your drives for transfer, record, or playback. You do this in the workspace window... go to that window (it's under some menu to the right... display maybe?) and you'll see a chart with all your drives- there will be two columns, one labeled A and one labeled V. Under the A (audio) column, make sure every drive you want to work on has an R (um, for RECORD).

It seems that PT decides to change this setting every so often just to piss us off. It's kind of a cool feature, because it prevents you from using drives you don't want to use, but it's annoying when this happens. I THINK that it may "unqualify" external drives if they are not mounted when PT is launched.

Did I get it?

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:54 pm

its under the operations menu,and yeah,you hit it on the haid......

joek1972
audio school graduate

Post by joek1972 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Could be a preferences issue. The Pro Tools preferences file on your external hard drive could be corrupted. I've had this happen to me. Delete your preferences file and try again-- PT should generate a new one.

mattb
ass engineer

Post by mattb » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:22 am

maz wrote:taking a stab because this answer comes up a lot...

if you are on PT 6.x on a Mac (and maybe windows, I don't know) you have to qualify all of your drives for transfer, record, or playback. You do this in the workspace window... go to that window (it's under some menu to the right... display maybe?) and you'll see a chart with all your drives- there will be two columns, one labeled A and one labeled V. Under the A (audio) column, make sure every drive you want to work on has an R (um, for RECORD).

It seems that PT decides to change this setting every so often just to piss us off. It's kind of a cool feature, because it prevents you from using drives you don't want to use, but it's annoying when this happens. I THINK that it may "unqualify" external drives if they are not mounted when PT is launched.

Did I get it?
This is what I thought it was. I think you're right. It happens to me sometimes.

-Matt B

www.brokenradio.com

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:24 am

It's actually under the Windows menu - Windows>Show Workspace.

Drive designation can change if you connect the drive to a different computer or install new software. Make sure to repair permissions after installing new software. Also, copying sessions to the drive can cause the drive designation to change.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson