Yay. Close the libraries!!!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Yay. Close the libraries!!!

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:50 pm

Probably old news. It is here, but thought I'd bring it to tapeop anyway. I heard from friends in N.Y. that it's actually a nationwide story that Salinas CA, which I live about 5 miles outside is closing it's city libraries, the first city in the U.S. to actually vote to do that! Ummm, yeah. Salinas. Ever read Steinbeck?

To keep them open, it would have averaged everyone in the city $20. Oops. Too much. I have a feeling though, that people are such fucking retards here that if it cost $1.00 they still would have voted it down. All you have to do is say on the ballot that it will cost 1.2 million dollars for the city, county, state, whatever, to institute this or that or pay for this or that, and people will vote it down.
"Fuuuuuck. that's a lot of money dude!!!"

Do the MATH!!!

I mean jeez, they're libraries people!!! Free books, dummies

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Yay. Close the libraries!!!

Post by wing » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:53 pm

That's freaking sad. Libraries are one of the greatest things ever-- free knowledge. How can you go wrong?

tommymakestapes
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tommymakestapes » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:16 am

i always bring back books late... but i like to think of it as givin a little eaxtra cash back to the community. portlands a little steep though..

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:22 am

Who the hell would vote to close down a library? I just don't get people sometimes.
I am wangtacular.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:43 am

God Bless America!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:08 am

I guess people are afraid that they'll read too much, get smarter, and realize they voted to put an incompetent criminal in the White House.

I'm sure the NeoCons are happy, though. The more stupid the general population gets, the more they can get away with.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:42 am

Well seriously - who reads?? My wife is an English teacher and the vast majority of her students say they NEVER read outside of school. EVER.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 am

Have you been to a library lately? (not counting a university library)

They are usually quite busy. Despite what your wife says about kids, many of whom don't think about reading much, there are still a lot of fringe enthusiasts out there participating in this "reading" craze. Not to mention all the special programs at libraries, like helping immigrants figure out how to deal with the english language, etc.

It is fucking crazy to close libraries just to save some money. Not a good long-term investment.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:30 am

Ok, I'll give you that - but my local comic book store is usually busy too - that doesn't mean that most people read comic books!

I didn't mean to imply that a library closing is justified - I think it's awful. Like Wing, I'm VERY pro-library - I think every major project I've undertaken in the last 5 years started with several trips to the library. I think having a knowledge warehouse that's available to ANYone is of immeasureable benefit to society as a whole.

And I think it sucks and is bad for people when one closes.

I'm just saying it's part of a larger, more alarming trend.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:32 am

Right on.

I wonder whether all this IM and email and web homework assignments, etc. will lead to our current generation being better /faster readers. The web isn't much fun unless you can read, eh (even if your goal in web surfing is just to find naked pictures of other human specimens)

At the same time I am quite certain that the web format of information intake shortens the attention span. I can't even imagine life before computers. It must have moved at a rather yawny pace.

In the furor of illegal music downloading nobody makes much commotion about the great troves of CDs available at libraries for checkout. I did a search for the Arcade Fire CD at the Minneapolis library website this morning and found that 14 people already have it on hold! That means 14 people will copy it, right? That's not the same as 5000 illegal copies every 24 hours via Kazaa, but still it's a glaring leak in the major label-cartel music-containment/sale system. Okay then-

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:44 am

Libraries are awesome, i'm sitting in one now as they have faster internet than i have back at the ranch. The videos and DVDs are like ?1-3 for a week's rental, books are free (loan) CDs are 50p-?1 for a week, free PC use, free scanning, free CD burning, you can download to your heart's content, photocopying's cheap, it's warm, and friendly, and you can just sit here and relax if you like. Libraries rule, though they won't make you tea or let you smoke.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:59 am

Tim Casey wrote:I guess people are afraid that they'll read too much, get smarter, and realize they voted to put an incompetent criminal in the White House.

I'm sure the NeoCons are happy, though. The more stupid the general population gets, the more they can get away with.
i listened a local conservative radio personality while driving last night and just as i tuned in she was asserting that people didn't watch the state of the union address because they took one look at bush and thought "now here's someone who's intellectual, who has an ivy league degree, who can speak smoothly and intelligently, what could he say that would interest me?" i was about to sneeze at the time but i ended up laugh-sneezing and some snot/spit got on the dashboard and steering wheel.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:29 am

Yeah, something like 50% of adult males and 35% of adult females over 18 NEVER read books. ever.

That's sad.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:44 am

bombastique wrote:Yeah, something like 50% of adult males and 35% of adult females over 18 NEVER read books. ever.

That's sad.
yeah, very much so.

my dad used to read books in his day... but now with a big screen TV and cable providing things such as Fox News, CSI, and crappy sitcoms, that's all he ever does when he's home. TV, TV, and some more TV.

it's depressing to me, really.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:10 am

That is really fucking sad. I feel VERY fortunate to live where I live. This is our new library.

The Seattle library system kicks ass. You can search the whole system's catalog online, place holds on items, and they deliver them to your local branch and e-mail you when you have new stuff in.
Last edited by marqueemoon on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!