Uad-1 and a Powerbook?

a computer-related recording forum with user woes, how-to's and hints
mattallen
takin' a dinner break

Uad-1 and a Powerbook?

Post by mattallen » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:01 pm

Is there any type of external box that I could plug that universal audio card into and be able to come into the powerbook via firewire or usb?

Also am I correct you can't upgrade RAM on a laptop, like the G5 for instance?

fremitus
pushin' record

Re: Uad-1 and a Powerbook?

Post by fremitus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:21 pm

while there are options for doing this (Magma) they are very expensive. the UAD-1 uses PCI architecture. Laptops use Cardbus architecture to do roughly the same tasks. if you're feeling really crafty you could probably wire up a dongle yourself. that would be a bitch and there'd be no warranty on that action for sure. Dell made a really cool docking station for their latitude notebooks that had 2 PCI slots in it, a very cool thing. So cheap it isn't as far as I know. The biggest problem is power. Full PCI requires a bunch more than cardbus.

As for RAM? It can be upgraded in almost ANY computer. definitely.

mattallen
takin' a dinner break

Post by mattallen » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Wow. $1000 bucks for that. I had no idea it would cost that much nor the problems that may come with it. So do MAC folks run the UAD on laptops or just leave that out?

On the other question, can I install the RAM sticks myself on a powerbook?

I'm looking into diving on a new powerbook possibly soon so I'm kind of getting some things figured out on what I want to invest in. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:32 am

powerbook ram is obscenely easy to install. two little phillips screws hold a small plate on the bottom, urine, therein, done. i don't know of any mac folks using a UAD-1 with a laptop...

mattallen
takin' a dinner break

Post by mattallen » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks fremitus. I'm sure that will save me some money from the Apple store if I buy the RAM somewhere else and install it myself.

As to the UAD-1, I'll keep looking into that idea. Someone else locally told me there is a shop that could possibly make a box like the one you linked me to. I'll see what I can find. Thanks again!

JasonW
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by JasonW » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:35 am

Look into the t.c. electronics powercore firwire box.

IMHO, if you're going the plug-ins route, you may as well have both the t.c. and UAD. You'll have just about all the bases covered.

junior
pluggin' in mics

Post by junior » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:50 pm

why not install the uad-1 card into a cheap desktop pc or mac with an inexpensive soundcard and use it as an fx rack for your powerbook? you could also do it over a network (without buying a soundcard) by using something like wormhole/jack...

i recently built a cheap headless $300 pc (using microsoft remote desktop), hooked it up to the network and now i can access pc plugins/instruments on my ibook (wirelessly) via wormhole. it would work the same way with a uad card.

btw, if you look around you can find old beige g3 powermacs for about $75 - that would be a pretty cheap way to get started ;)

links:
http://apulsoft.ch/
http://jackosx.com/
http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15544
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep"...
--Scott Adams