That halftime show was rad.

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Re: That halftime show was rad.

Post by OneZero » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:53 am

I loved that he played "Live and Let Die. Always a great song. We all know Sir Mc Cartney never involves himself in politics of recent, but I couldn't help feel, as I did when I was younger, that song is a jab at lazy selfish-americans.
The whole production w/ the explosions and such. Absolute Bahgdad theme music.
I have some really horrible gear!!!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:02 pm

andrew embassy wrote:I wish they had brought the band closer together instead of keeping them out on those little circle things.
My guess would be that it was easier to get individual shots of each guy without sync problems.

In case you're still not aware, most audio for TV is pre-recorded, even if it's recorded at soundcheck. As far as I know, it's mostly to ensure that there aren't any technical glitches with the audio, but perhaps someone who knows mroe about audio for live TV can be more specific. I'm pretty sure that was the case this year. (I loved watching James Brown on the halftime show a few years back--you just dont' get JB to lipsync. Bad idea.) My guess would be that because of all the lip-sync scandal stuff that's been going on lately, the windscreens on the mics made it a bit easier to disguise. Notice that the camera was WAY BACK from Paul when he started "Hey Jude," too.

Still, it was an awesome show and sounded great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:13 pm

I was figuring they had it all prerecorded, but then they showed so many shots of the drummer and he was so right on, I was like "dang- I guess this must be live?"

That would make a lot more sense with the absolute lack of crowd noise.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:15 pm

andrew embassy wrote:I was figuring they had it all prerecorded, but then they showed so many shots of the drummer and he was so right on, I was like "dang- I guess this must be live?"
That's because Abe Laboriel, Jr. is always right-on.

:-)

CG

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:21 pm

yea i kinda noticed that, especially with all the count-ins on all the numbers sounded just like Paul. At least he wasnt lip synching. He's had enough training back from the Fab days. still good, apart from Hey Jude being cut down a bit.

Heh, Come & Get It came on my launch station as I'm typing this.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:20 pm

Seej wrote:At least he wasnt lip synching.
I think he was. Hence the windscreen obstructing his mouth. There was even one shot of him where it sort of looked apparent. Everybody does this nowadays. It really shouldn't be any surprise to anyone, but Paul still rocks.

Chris