Home Playback System?

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Home Playback System?

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:55 pm

I hate to admit it, but my home stereo system has sucked for years. I have had various boom boxes, cheap all in one "systems" that die quickly or worse the 'Home Entertainment System". My wife usually picks this stuff out or buys it for me at X-mas(I will deny this post if she ever reads it). I have always justified this by thinking I have a studio to listen to stuff on, I don't need anything else. The problem is when I'm in my studio I don't seem to be listening for pure enjoyment or I'm always picking up a guitar or keyboard and trying to learn a part. I get totaly engrossed in a particular track and almost never play a whole CD. This happen to anyone else?
I want a home system for pure enjoyment.
Now I don't want to go crazy and end up like some audiophile nut and spend $10,000 on speaker cable.
What I want is an older stereo system, you know the stuff they made in the 70's. A good (preamp, tuner amp) a turntable, and I think I want a pair of Klipsch Heresy's(friend has them...still great).

Now I know I can go on ebay and search around, but anyone know of a good place to buy old refurbished stereo equiptment.

Also any insight on the best place to get old vinyl(or new releases on vinyl)
most of the record shops have vanished like the wolly mammoth.

I know this sounds like I'm some retro freak, but I walked into a Meyer Emco and all the systems left me cold, and probably broke!

shakethebeach
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Home Playback System?

Post by shakethebeach » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:02 pm

How about a used crown IC-150a preamp and a used crown D-150a power amp. I really like mine; they sound great if stereo is all you need. Buy used on ebay, and then send them to the factory in Indiana where nice people will lovingly restore them to lab grade specs, for very little money. They last for decades. I posted a thread months ago on the best repair experience I ever had ( it was with a crown). Since then I picked up yet another one for the dining room speakers. They rock, give one a listen. Plus they're rackmount.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:15 pm

i have a pair of B&W DM602's and i think they are amazing, especially considering they are $600 a pair new. i use them with a pair of McIntosh MC30 tube power amps, and it sounds super sweet. the amps really create a 3-dimensional quality to the sound. and the whole set up cost me the same as a pair of Mackies (which i happily sold to get this setup).

my home stereo is a hafler preamp, tascam power amp, and bose speakers. check out the hafler preamp, great transparent sound.

craigslist is a good place to find old stereos, especially when people are moving. and there are still good deals to be found on ebay, especially for tube power amps.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions! :D

bunny
gettin' sounds

Post by bunny » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:34 am

check out the bigger bro of the heresys, the cornwall. f*ing amazing speakers. the horned klipsch stuff is so efficient, they can be driven by tiny little amps (my cornwalls are taking only 8 (tube) watts, and they have 15" LF drivers).

i wouldn't recommend magnapans (maggies), the bass just isn't right most of the time. you also need a beefier amp.

if you like ribbons, maybe go for something with a ribbon tweeter. maybe not if you're constantly moving about the room, the HF splay can be focused (narrow sweet spot).

some older altec stuff rules, some is crap. same for jbl, urei...

if you want to go nuts, APOGEE SCINTILLAS (sp?) and a huge amp. you'll lose entire DAYS just listening.

(ymmv)

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:20 pm

bunny wrote:check out the bigger bro of the heresys, the cornwall. f*ing amazing speakers. the horned klipsch stuff is so efficient, they can be driven by tiny little amps (my cornwalls are taking only 8 (tube) watts, and they have 15" LF drivers).

Yea those Heresey's my buddy has are the best speakers I have heard in a home. He has it hooked up to an old Marantz tuner(20w per/ch) and they are loud and clear. I always take my mixes to check on his system, always sound better than anything I have mixed on.

You have any insight on a good turntable/cartridge combo, under 300 beans
(old and used of course)

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:32 pm

Best deal on a turntable is a Music Hall MMF 2.1. Music Direct in Chicago has 'em for $314, set-up with cartridge.

www.musicdirect.com

Frank

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:19 am

My living room system is:

Sony single disc player and shitty Stanton turntable>pawn shop Denon tuner/amp>pawn shop JBL bookshelf/monitor speakers and POS Altec Lansings for the dining room/kitchen.

Everything is my girlfriend's but the turntable. I helped her pick out the stuff. It actually sounds pretty damn good considering the cost. I wish I hadn't skimped on the turntable though.

If I ever have to buy another CD player for my own system it's gonna be another Rotel. I have an 855 from the 80's that just will not die.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!