RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
favorite obscure covers!??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scodiddly
ghost haunting audio students

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Cassandra Wilson's "New Moon Daughter" has some great covers, including "Last Train to Clarksville". My favorite off that CD is her cover of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

JASIII wrote:
Ike & Tina doing "Come together"

Their version of 'Whole lotta love' has a pretty awesome intro.

cgarges wrote:
Anything by the Bad Plus is rad. Do you have their latest record? The one with "Iron Man" on it? Holy Cow! You should also check out some of their i-tunes exclusive stuff. Their version of "Every Breath You Take" is one of the sickest things I've ever heard.

Hey Rigsby, if you haven't checked out these guys, do so NOW!

The link for theiTunes stuff isn't working for me. I checked out these guys before, wasn't wowed to be honest, but may've been my frame of mind. My old group did a version of 'Iron Man' actually, on Oud, Drums, Bongos, Bass Guitar, Piano and Violin, just an impromptu jam during rehearsals. We also did the theme from Rocky, played that out once, silly really, but a bit of fun.

rigsbysmith.com
cgarges
zen recordist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Scodiddly wrote:
Cassandra Wilson's "New Moon Daughter" has some great covers, including "Last Train to Clarksville". My favorite off that CD is her cover of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry".

Oh yeah, that's a good one!

Check out this stuff.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
pedrohead
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

ayanpal wrote:
Mark Kozelek aka Red House Painters aka Sun Kil Moon does awesome covers, reconstructing familiar songs into his own. he's covered McCatrtney's silly love songs, yes's long distance run around, that paul simon song "i am a rock, i am an island". he did a whole album of acoustic ac/dc covers.

tru dat. mark kozelek's "what's next to the moon" is incredible.
The Paper Sound
The Bruised Reed
marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Anyone heard Madeleine Peyroux's version of Elliott Smith's "Between The Bars"? Whoa.
ubertar
cryogenically thawing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Kinda the flip side of this, but has anyone else heard the original version of "Dazed and Confused" by Jake Holmes? Not as cool as the Zep cover, but it's interesting.
psinglet
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd call them "favorite," but there are a lot of obscure and strange covers over at April Winchell's site.

http://www.aprilwinchell.com/multimedia/

How about a Dolly Parton remake of Stairway? How about Jerry Springer doing Mr. Tamborine Man? How about a lounge remake of Teen Spirit? They're all there.

Enjoy!
Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Pop Will Eat Itself released an album of covers back in the early 90s I think. There are versions of Love Missile F911 (Sig Sig Sputnik) and Shriekback's Everything That Rises Must Converge. Both are pretty great.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Al_Huero wrote:
Pop Will Eat Itself released an album of covers back in the early 90s I think. There are versions of Love Missile F911 (Sig Sig Sputnik) and Shriekback's Everything That Rises Must Converge. Both are pretty great.

Funny, that's the first time i've ever heard Pop will Eat Itself and pretty great in the same paragraph. Can't imagine it'll happen again.

rigsbysmith.com
djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

"My Blue Heaven" Smashing Pumpkins

Actually the pumpkins have a lot of covers in the box set of B-sides from the Mellon Collie Session.. what was that boxed set called??
"The aeroplane turns left.. looks right"?
fuckface
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

anathema - better off dead (a bad religion cover)

its just interestinig to hear a completly different take on this song
syrupcore
deaf.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

JASIII wrote:
....Booker T and the MG's do a "Abbey Road" Medley

Might be an outtake from Booker T and the MG's - 'Mclemore Avenue' - they cover all of abbey road from start to finish. excellent. Mclemore avenue being the road that Stax Studios was on.

Mo Tucker does a beautiful cover of Pale Blue Eyes on one of her solo records.

While 'white lines' and '911 is a joke' were sorta embarassing, Duran Duran's cover of Perfect Day cant really be totally denied. Even lou seemed to like it.

Spectrum's cover of Beat Happening's 'Indian Summer' is great.

will
jamoo
buyin' a studio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

Cabaret Voltaire's "Shaft Theme"

that's obscure enough.
Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

syrupcore wrote:
JASIII wrote:
....Booker T and the MG's do a "Abbey Road" Medley

Might be an outtake from Booker T and the MG's - 'Mclemore Avenue' - they cover all of abbey road from start to finish. excellent. Mclemore avenue being the road that Stax Studios was on.

I found that record to be a real disappointment, it's not very groove orientated or imaginative, both of which i expected it to be. hey ho.

rigsbysmith.com
bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: favorite obscure covers!?? Reply with quote

ruins does a black sabbath medley called "reversible" because most of the riffs therein have been played backwards. so awesome.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: