SUB KICK DIY layout

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Re: SUB KICK DIY layout

Post by MichaelAlan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:03 pm

Mine is the 6" that came in the door of my 91' CRX. It's a paper cone...which is why I wondered about the car sub. i have a 12" sub that has a urethane rim and an aluminum coated cone...I'm tryin it tommorrow.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:03 am

my only thoughts on this, Id think youd want to use a speaker that has the lightest mass that you can find (easiest to move). I havent tried this (d112 is a muddy enough mess for me) but logic says a lighter to move mass of diaphragm might yield better results.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

bourzia
audio school graduate

Post by bourzia » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:52 am

I used a Boston Acoustic (at10 I think) in the cabinet for a while and it totally adds low end and warmth to my mixes I'll post some examples soon

bourzia
audio school graduate

Post by bourzia » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:54 am

oh I also just hooked it up to a normal XLR jack and sent it through my Biamp Legend.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:00 am

are you finding any differences between preamps with your speaker mic?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

pedalboy
pluggin' in mics

Post by pedalboy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:59 pm

I tried this the other day. Just ran a dumpster-dived speaker to an XLR and stole the "tap on the speaker to make a loop" idea. Crazy sounds. Plus it gave me another excuse to create a crazy effects chain in PT. I love any chance I can get to label a track the "wierd knob."

My question is what to do with the 3rd wire of the XLR jack? Is there an easy way to make this a balanced "mic?"

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:04 pm

pedalboy wrote:My question is what to do with the 3rd wire of the XLR jack? Is there an easy way to make this a balanced "mic?"
Sure - just hook pins 2 & 3 to the speaker terminals and pin 1 to the frame (ground). Balanced, low impedance... yeah!

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:56 pm

I use the standard NS-10 woofers.
The bigger speakers didn't work as good for me.
I was using the SubKick for a while, but I finally decided I liked the NS-10 better, and it's way cheaper.
Cool on bass amp too.
I wired mine to XLR and put an inline pad on the way to the pre.

I want to make some nice stands for the two I have.
I've always used them balanced on a box and stuck to a mic stand.
If anyone has an easy to make stand design, please post how you made it.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:21 pm

wedge wrote:
leigh wrote:Here it is in its raging glory (mounted on a snare stand):
Do you point the backend at the sound source?!?
Nope, I aim it with the open end of the cone facing the source. With this stand, that means I can't have it right up on something. If I had a slightly deeper stand, or a shallower speaker cone, I could flip the speaker around.

Leigh

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm going to keep asking until y'all give it up. what preamps do you like with your speaker mic?
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols

Vern
audio school graduate

Post by Vern » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:30 am

I just wired mine up to a quarter inch plug and plugged it into a crappy preamp. Mixed with my D112 it sounds amazing. Check my avatar.
Last edited by Vern on Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MintFieldMan
audio school graduate

Post by MintFieldMan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:31 am

I had to do a session a while back with a peavey 520i on kick, which worked ok but had a bit much of that heavy metal clicky thing going, so I rigged up an xlr plug to a couple of aligator clips with some crapy speaker wire I had lying around and clipped it to a 12" speaker in an old univox guitar combo. The resulting extra kick track proved indispensable, though it took a little bit of trial and error to find a spot where the signal wouldn't clip the pre (no pad). I now keep a few cables lying around with standard plugs on one end and aligator clips on the other for just such an occasion (I'm using better cable though).

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:08 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:I'm going to keep asking until y'all give it up. what preamps do you like with your speaker mic?
OK, I'll bite... whatever's available, really, that's not a complete POS. Given that I use the best pres available for overheads, then snare, then the other kick mic, and so on down the line, the kick sub always gets what's left after that. So, for me, that's a pre on a Spirit M-Series.

The speaker I use is a 12" paper cone, and like I said it doesn't output much over 200 Hz, so I always combine it with another mic to grab high end kick definition. The sub/speaker track is used sparingly in the mix, but to good effect. It has a smooth thump to it, the closest to an 808 sound I've heard straight off a mic'd source.

The best thing to do would be to post a multitrack demo of a few bars, provide you with a few full bandwidth files of sub kick, kick, and overhead to check out for yourselves. I'll try to get that together in the next few days.

Leigh

bourzia
audio school graduate

Post by bourzia » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:11 pm

yea I pretty much use whatever pre I have left and it was usually a chanel on the Biamp.

I also just brought this into the mix barely so you could feel it more than hear it.

Sayer
gettin' sounds

Post by Sayer » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:05 pm

I think there's alot of unexplored use here. I am using my sub kick for a different purpose than many of you...

From what I hear most of you are using the sub kick along with your other kick mics (ie d112) to thicken up your tracks. This is logical. Here's what i'm doing...

I found the lowest mass 8" mid driver I could find which turned out to be a marantz. I used a Sowter 1:1 transformer for balancing purposes. The low mass cone provides excellent signal strength and gives me a great thump to rely on. My advantage is not to beefen up the low end on a kick mic. with correct tuning and mic placement your kick tracks should be beefy enough on the low end. Instead I use the subkick as a tool to add better mid to high end response by allowing me to use a much brighter crisper mic such as an earthworks or a 414...

With out the sub kick I could not do this... I have never like these mics used along side of regular kcick mics. but the sub kick gives enough frequency response seperation to help mix with the condenser.

I have always hated d112s while we're on it...
two bpms & three dudes away from a hit.