Looping

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Looping

Post by musikman316 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:22 pm

Okay, I've been listening to Nels Cline/Andrea Parkins/Tom Rainey's Ash and Tabula lately, and I'm looking for more freak out, free loop type records. I also love Bill Frissell and what he does and was just looking for more.

It doesn't have to be "jazz" either, any rock or pop works...

Also, what pedals are you guys (if any) using for looping, I was looking at the loop station and the 16 second EH... and wondered what you guys had encountered.

Thanks,
musik

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Looping

Post by Meriphew » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:29 pm

Check out the Electrix Repeater. They used to street for about $500, then they skyrocketed to about $1k overnight after Electrix went out of biz. Electrix is once again back in business (hooray), so hopefully the Repeater will be back around $500 again. We'll see.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:31 pm

Check out the Gibson EDP...pricey, but it's the best live looper ever.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:40 pm

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:Check out the Gibson EDP...pricey, but it's the best live looper ever.
A.K.A. the Oberheim Echoplex! Awesome, if you can swing the $$$.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 pm

As far as favorite looper records go Roger Miller (guitarist w/Mission of Burma) did a couple of awesome records - "Big Industry" (Ace of Hearts - out of print vinyl only release) which features his "Maximum Electric Piano" of a Yamaha "electric grand" piano fed through a fuzz tone and an EH 16 second delay - and "Elemental Guitar" (SST - 1995) which features his guitar and voice doing both songs and surreal soundscapes using the EH16.

Thomas Dimuzio has done a ton of amazing looping/resampling electronic albums - difficult stuff - but without a question rewarding once you get into it.

A couple must have tape loop classics to me are Brian Eno's "Discrete Music" & the Robert Fripp / Eno collaboration "No Pussyfooting".

A couple recent albums I really dig featuring cello are Zoe Keating's (from Rasputina's) solo CD "One Cello x 16" and Joan Jeanrenaud's (formerly Kronos Quartet) solo CD "Metamorphasis". Both highly recommended.

Both Steve Reich & Terry Riley did some great stuff in their early releases with tape loops also. Reich's "Come Out" & "It's Gonna Rain" & Riley's "Mescalin Mix" come to mind immediately but they have a few others that I can't remember titles of offhand.

Both the Boss RC20 & the Boomerang I think are great pieces now. I have a JamMan but don't really recommend this now as once you have the loop going you can't really manipulate it.

fwiw - Tom Dimuzio - who has an original EH 16 second delay checked out the reissue but hated it as he stated it really isn't the same - he ended up getting an RC-20XL and digging it.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Antero
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Antero » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:54 pm

I've heard awesome things done with the Boomerang.
I hate my species.
Spatata
Chuckie Anvil

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:54 pm

the terry riley live poppynogood CD's are INSANE and are completely the bible on looping, two A-77's, a sax, an organ and a fistful of LSD. No Pussyfooting never would have happened thhe way it happened without terry riley. that guy was completely posessed.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:27 am

yeah, get No Pussyfooting. Or you can just get your freak on and get It's Gonna Rain. Great sunday morning listening.

loveliescrushing's first record is pretty loopy. kind of the dreamier extension of my bloody valentine's noise.

I use an akai headrush and a free program called Ambiloop on an old laptop live. I'd love an edp or a repeater though... endless loop cassettes and four tracks are fun too but I've been to lazy anymore. sad.

Will

Ronan
gettin' sounds

Post by Ronan » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:43 am

There are a lot of great looping tools onn the market ande the one that is right for you depends on your budget and how you like to work. The Echoplex of "EDP" is really the king of them all but some of the less expensive ones can be really cool as well.

You can check out my looping project here http://www.livesofthesaints.net/

One of the most interesting loopers today is Andre LaFosse http://www.altruistmusic.com/

I spent a few years working with Robert Fripp, who does a lot of really beautiful looping stuff.

A great resource for learning more aboaut looping is Loopers Delight.

http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:51 am

Meriphew wrote:Check out the Electrix Repeater. They used to street for about $500, then they skyrocketed to about $1k overnight after Electrix went out of biz. Electrix is once again back in business (hooray), so hopefully the Repeater will be back around $500 again. We'll see.
looks like there is an mkII in the works. 7 new products supposed to be available 1st quarter of this year. that'd be swell. I'm afraid they'll double the prices though, cause they can.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:53 am

a link to the 7. looks like it's actually (?) april/may 2005.

will

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:34 am

soundguy wrote:the terry riley live poppynogood CD's are INSANE and are completely the bible on looping, two A-77's, a sax, an organ and a fistful of LSD. No Pussyfooting never would have happened thhe way it happened without terry riley. that guy was completely posessed.

dave
Dave -
I agree 100%. "Rainbow In Curved Air" is probably the best intro to the Poppynogood stuff - awesome album. "In C" is cool too for taking the looping concept but having them played "manually".

Best regards,
Steve Berson

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:44 am

Andrea recorded a record here (studio G) with my partner Tony.
I forget what she had... Lots of fun stuff. She is great. Her cousin Zeena is great as well.

I will ask tony what Andrea was using for some of the free loop stuff she was doing...

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:14 am

syrupcore wrote:
Meriphew wrote:Check out the Electrix Repeater. They used to street for about $500, then they skyrocketed to about $1k overnight after Electrix went out of biz. Electrix is once again back in business (hooray), so hopefully the Repeater will be back around $500 again. We'll see.
looks like there is an mkII in the works. 7 new products supposed to be available 1st quarter of this year. that'd be swell. I'm afraid they'll double the prices though, cause they can.
all of their "MK II's" look real similar to the originals. In fact - I think they have changed nothing.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:29 am

I have the RC-20 and think it's pretty good

Check out albums by Ken Rubenstein...back in the day he was on the cover of Guitar Player and they reviewed his albums and compared him to Hendrix in terms of vision and talent...the guy is a major genius.

There are a lot of loopers at my site as well...check it out

http://kronosonic.com

Ken drops in from time to time as well.
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe