A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews...

Post by soundguy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:03 pm

at least you arent judging the guy on an isolated experience, thats good.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:06 pm

With each new Tape Op issue I get, I like the magazine more and more. I think they just get better with each issue.

i am monster face
buyin' gear

Post by i am monster face » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:13 pm

It is a free magazine isn't it?
And wasn't there a review/mod for a 3630?
Yes there was.
I mean, high end stuff? Really? I'm a college student with no money, but the price of a piece of gear that's $800 is expensive to me, not unattainable. When I want things, I save up and buy it. A piece of gear isn't 'high end' because you can't go out, buy it, and still have money to buy a wing and window tint for the "Project Racing Hyndai" in the garage. While others on the board throw $800 like it's their job(it is), isn't it a possiblilty that a piece of gear as (relatively) inexpensive as $800 is low end?

Ian

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:15 pm

soundguy wrote:here's a review you can use for every single condenser mic made west of hawaii available for under $400 which everyone here seems to love so much
Pfft, sell-out. (Actuallly, very funny.)

I find that TO is more likely than other mags to give a balanced review, although Recording does OK, too. As for cost, didn't Chris do a review of some $12 toy piano a couple issues ago? Jeez.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:23 pm

The MXL V67G is a $100 condenser that is extremely useful and, to my ears, good. There are others. So, whatever. I only scan the reviews in TO, anyway. I'm not basing any purchase decision on a review in TO.
beware bee wear

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:10 pm

Shawn1272 wrote:As long as the people being interviewed in TapeOp have something interesting to say, I don't care what kind of gear they use or how much money they make per song.
Amen brutha'.

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I guess it's just a difference of opinion. I don't mind the gear reviews so much -- I just find the focus in this magazine is changing more from people who record music that they love regardless of the money, and tend to use cheap gear because the market simply doesn't support good music -- to people who work in medium sized studios, and produce music that is controlled by market forces, albeit sometimes smaller market forces, but market forces nonetheless. I agree the articles with people like Carol Kaye (I have felt taped over my bass right now) make this magazine worth reading. I just find there's alot more bullshit and self-promotion not just in the magazine but in this forum as well. I still read it everyday though, because there are still a few people like me who play and record music the way I believe it should be.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:31 pm

The prices on some gear should be related to what the gear is. Like the Daking preamps and Mackie mixer in the last issue are actually relatively affordable for what they are and can do.

I'd like to state that there's no master plan or conspiracy going on behind the scenes at Tape Op. In fact, each issue is a lot more random than you would ever believe. Like Andy Hong may have been waiting on reviews of 10 inexpensive pieces of gear that reviewers didn't get done in time. And maybe the articles on home recordists I had haven't been edited or proofed. What comes together to make an issue can be whatever is sitting in front of us and will make a decent issue.

And if the music I've been recording in my medium-sized studio is controlled by market forces you're on acid. You don't have any idea what studios like mine are working on day-to-day.

Self promotion is usually only apparent to people who want the promotion for themselves.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:59 pm

I wasn't referring to your studio. Admittedly, I know nothing about your studio and I'm not familiar with anyone who records there.
TapeOpLarry wrote:The prices on some gear should be related to what the gear is. Like the Daking preamps and Mackie mixer in the last issue are actually relatively affordable for what they are and can do.

I'd like to state that there's no master plan or conspiracy going on behind the scenes at Tape Op. In fact, each issue is a lot more random than you would ever believe. Like Andy Hong may have been waiting on reviews of 10 inexpensive pieces of gear that reviewers didn't get done in time. And maybe the articles on home recordists I had haven't been edited or proofed. What comes together to make an issue can be whatever is sitting in front of us and will make a decent issue.

And if the music I've been recording in my medium-sized studio is controlled by market forces you're on acid. You don't have any idea what studios like mine are working on day-to-day.

Self promotion is usually only apparent to people who want the promotion for themselves.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:30 pm

larry, defending yourself on the internet is like trying to play basketball with a bowling ball, dont do it.

the mag is great. let the naysayers go read all the other wonderful alternatives out there. You guys know you can contribute to the mag, right?

dave

AlSmith
pluggin' in mics

Post by AlSmith » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:51 pm

You're a little butt-smoocher.
soundguy wrote:larry, defending yourself on the internet is like trying to play basketball with a bowling ball, dont do it.

the mag is great. let the naysayers go read all the other wonderful alternatives out there. You guys know you can contribute to the mag, right?

dave

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:53 pm

Dave,
You're right. I'll go back to actually working on the mag instead. Can you tell people they can start their own magazines, especially if they're naive enough to think they can do one without selling ads and not lose money! Maybe I should go down to my studio and salivate all over my expensive gear as well...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:12 pm

AlSmith wrote:You're a little butt-smoocher.
I suppose thats better than "asshole".

dave

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:13 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I'd like to state that there's no master plan or conspiracy going on behind the scenes at Tape Op. In fact, each issue is a lot more random than you would ever believe. Like Andy Hong may have been waiting on reviews of 10 inexpensive pieces of gear that reviewers didn't get done in time. And maybe the articles on home recordists I had haven't been edited or proofed. What comes together to make an issue can be whatever is sitting in front of us and will make a decent issue.
I think there's the answer to the original question.

TapeOp is a great mag, pretty much from top to bottom. Some issues appeal more to me than others, and that includes the reviews. I don't think the original poster was trying to look for a conspiracy.

Not many of us have an idea what goes into a mag like tapeop, especially trying to stay above the primedia fray. That explanation from Larry seems to make a lot of sense. I dunno. It did to me.

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:16 pm

I think it's great that everyone has sprung to the defense of Tape Op. I really do. Most of the defense has been aimed at AlSmith's posta, not mine, so I'm certainly not taking it personally.

BUT, amidst all the defense of Tape OP my original question has been ignored- which is, why has the focus of the gear reviews (and argueably of the mag itself) drifted towards higher end gear? Larry's posts seem to say that it's either a figment of my imagination (which I honestly don't think it is- see my previous posts for analysis of this) or that the trend was unplanned, random, and has no meaning. I don't doubt that it was unplanned, that the makeup of the magazine is detrimined by forces outside his control, and so forth. But if Tape OP is getting more completed submissions for high-end gear than low-end, this is intersting and worth discussing, yes?

If I had to guess, it's because higher end manufacturers are sending out gear to review, to people who can use it- and if you get something free to try in the mail and you like it, you feel obligated to at least review it.

Prehaps we can start, on this board, a signup sheet for reviews of low-end gear. I'm not sure how to coordinate such a thing, but off the top of my head- start a thread called "reviews for low end gear- signup". Post what you're reviewing, and post again when you send it in. If Larry needs more low end gear reviews, reviews of stuff you can get on eBay, and so on (an excellent idea), let's do it.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis