RegisterRegister
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
Log inLog in
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Meriphew
deaf.


Joined: 11 May 2003
Posts: 1759
Location: Seattle USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

I like TapeOp's policy of not wasting space with negative reviews. I'd rather hear about some good stuff than read about some crap.
_________________
My iTunes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0xeneye
pushin' record


Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 206
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

I like negative reviews of equipment if they are deserved. I don't trust forums, or newsgroups, or Harmony Central reviews.

I KNOW that people on HC all write 10 star reviews for crap they are dumping on ebay.

I have read posts, seemingly written in an expert style, from kids with very little recording experience.

And I generally think the Internet and it's viscious marketing subtext is a toilet.

So, when an expert from Tape Op who I trust separates the chaff from the wheat, then I feel relieved and can move on.

So, price aside, I bow to Tape Op for their expertise and understanding that my wallet suffers... Thank you Larry.
_________________
0x
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve


Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Posts: 673
Location: Purdue University

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

Theres too much crap out there for negative reviews. IMO stick to the + reviews, regaurdless of price. Id much rather hear about what a product can do instead of what it can't.
_________________
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
cgarges
zen recordist


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 10819
Location: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

0xeneye wrote:
I KNOW that people on HC all write 10 star reviews for crap they are dumping on ebay.


For whatever it's worth, I wrote my HC review of the Oktava ML52 before it hit the pages of TapeOp. I wouldn't go so far as to say "all."

CG
_________________
www.chrisgarges.com
https://www.facebook.com/oldhousestudio
Playing drums with Mitch Easter and The Spongetones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
i am monster face
buyin' gear


Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Posts: 524
Location: Omaha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

AlSmith wrote:
and I'm hearing alot less form people who truly love recording and producing music outside of the confines of an industry which destroys


You're reading it. Not hearing it.

Ian
_________________
www.myspace.com/sonniccontrol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nipsy
pushin' record


Joined: 14 Feb 2004
Posts: 273
Location: the ubiquitous Portland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

I honestly believe no one in this forum needs to defend themselves when it comes to Mr.Smith. Everyone is entitled to their opinion(s) even our pal al.


Fuck' em.




smoochies,

Sy Cophant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students


Joined: 07 May 2003
Posts: 3182
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

OK, Im busted, larry told me he'd run an article on my studio if I made him look cool on the message board.

Im just a whore, you guys got me.

dave
_________________
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
AlSmith
pluggin' in mics


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

Yeah -- repaying you for your little smooching. Seriously -- I've read this forum for a while, and you guys are a bunch of infantile little crybabies. Some of you constantly poke fun at others, but when it comes to taking it yourselves, you act like a bunch of little pussies. Later -- you guys aren't amusing anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlSmith
pluggin' in mics


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

P.S., I'd rather listen to Steely Dan, or Eddie Kramer, or even fucking Neil Sedaka than most of your crap, although I have heard a few of you idiots produce some shit that was okay. Later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nipsy
pushin' record


Joined: 14 Feb 2004
Posts: 273
Location: the ubiquitous Portland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

AlSmith wrote:
P.S., I'd rather listen to Steely Dan, or Eddie Kramer, or even fucking Neil Sedaka than most of your crap, although I have heard a few of you idiots produce some shit that was okay. Later.






infantile.....you dont say.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel


Joined: 16 Jun 2003
Posts: 1528

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

AlSmith wrote:
Say what you want, but I've felt an increasing need to look elsewhere outside of this magazine and forum for recording information and for inspiration about recording. To this magazine's credit, the competition is worse. Having said that, more and more this magazine and forum is reading like a trade journal for "independent" wannabe rockstars, butt smooching, and self promotion -- and I'm hearing alot less form people who truly love recording and producing music outside of the confines of an industry which destroys creativity. That's just the way it is. I'll still read this magazine as long as it's free, and I'll occassionally go to this forum for info -- but I wouldn't buy this magazine. Just my 2 cents. See you later.


You joined in Jan 2005, and you've already seen the massive decline. Good thing you don't know what it was like, back in the golden days of the tapeop message board.

Back in the good old days, Larry used to post pictures to the message board of the decomposing corpses of equipment designers who dared to try building anything that would cost more than $100.

And most of the people interviewed in the magazine were so lo-fi, you couldn't listen to their records >anywhere<. Some of them hadn't even recorded anything, becuase they WERE TOO LO-FI!!!!. And they were so indie, that there was no way you could tell who they were!!! It was awesome.

And there was an article on the back page, hosted by Fletcher of mercenary audio, about gear that sucked, profiling a different piece of gear that really really sucked, tested under all sorts of different real world conditions. "This $200 mic sucked on vocals, it sucked on bass, it >really< sucked as a room mic, it was terrible on all parts of the drum kit, and even holding it felt a lot colder, more brittle and less warm and analog than other mics do."

And then there was another article every month next to it, where Larry would explain how much Fletcher's attitude sucked, and profiling a different way in which he sucked, and how his store was overpriced and elitist. And then another article by a bitter, asinine, newly registered poster to this board, setting everything straight about how much Larry and the whole magazine sucked, and so did the accompanying message board, and that we were better off browsing both every once in a while, but not to expect much in the way of useful information from either.
_________________
http://www.groovetronica.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 07 May 2003
Posts: 5022
Location: Ithaca, NY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

Mr. Dipity wrote:
You joined in Jan 2005, and you've already seen the massive decline. Good thing you don't know what it was like, back in the golden days of the tapeop message board.

Back in the good old days, Larry used to post pictures to the message board of the decomposing corpses of equipment designers who dared to try building anything that would cost more than $100.

And most of the people interviewed in the magazine were so lo-fi, you couldn't listen to their records >anywhere<. Some of them hadn't even recorded anything, becuase they WERE TOO LO-FI!!!!. And they were so indie, that there was no way you could tell who they were!!! It was awesome.

And there was an article on the back page, hosted by Fletcher of mercenary audio, about gear that sucked, profiling a different piece of gear that really really sucked, tested under all sorts of different real world conditions. "This $200 mic sucked on vocals, it sucked on bass, it >really< sucked as a room mic, it was terrible on all parts of the drum kit, and even holding it felt a lot colder, more brittle and less warm and analog than other mics do."

And then there was another article every month next to it, where Larry would explain how much Fletcher's attitude sucked, and profiling a different way in which he sucked, and how his store was overpriced and elitist. And then another article by a bitter, asinine, newly registered poster to this board, setting everything straight about how much Larry and the whole magazine sucked, and so did the accompanying message board, and that we were better off browsing both every once in a while, but not to expect much in the way of useful information from either.



_________________
New album out now! clicky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
AlSmith
pluggin' in mics


Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

I'm the new leader of this magazine/forum. It's time for Larry to

Al, did you forget that I'm a moderator here? You're not. Enjoy. -LC

step down, and you guys need to smooch my bottom instead. Larry's a rockstar, now. Writing articles about Eric Valentine,

I didn't write that. JJ did.

going to the Paradiso in Amsterdam,

On my own dime. -LC

keeping telefunken reissues that he was supposed to give a disinsterested review of --

Al, I kept the mic because it actually saved my ass on a session and made someone sound really great. -LC

it's time for someone like me, or maybe inverse room, to take over the reins of leadership, and for Larry to surround himself with buttsmoochers like Dave on his quest to become an industry "Producer" so he can make more money.

If that's my goal I'm doing pretty fucking bad at it! -LC

I'm you new leader -- that's just the way it is. Fuck larry. Sorry, bro, you're out.

Thanks Al. What a sweetheart. -LC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nacho459
re-cappin' neve
http://www.459audio.com/rebb.jpg

Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 748
Location: Pasadena USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jmiller
steve albini likes it


Joined: 06 Sep 2003
Posts: 396
Location: North Hollywood, on Radford near the In-N-Out

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: A Disturbing Trend in the Tape OP Reviews... Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: General Recording All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum