RegisterRegister
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
Log inLog in
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Who is more dangerous?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wing
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 5347
Location: brooklyn, ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

I thought this was one of the most interesting questions I've heard posed in a long time (heard it said by my girlfriend who heard it in a class).

Discuss.

(For me, the answer is neither, because there are too many other variables that have influence. Still a very good question nonetheless).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sonikbliss
buyin' a studio


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 920
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

do either of them have lasers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rolandk
buyin' gear
http://www.vonhummer.com/images/wallpaper5_800px.jpg

Joined: 18 May 2003
Posts: 535
Location: Portland, Oregon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?

When you say religious, do you mean an active member of an organized religion or someone who isn't but spiritual in their own way?

What if the religion is the church of satan?
_________________
my band: Mission 5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andrew embassy
george martin


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 1396
Location: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

rolandk wrote:
Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?

When you say religious, do you mean an active member of an organized religion or someone who isn't but spiritual in their own way?

What if the religion is the church of satan?


damn you pragmatists!


: )
_________________
HEY! Who forgot they bag?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kilroy
buyin' gear
http://board.spawn.com/forums/customavatars/avatar36951_2.gif

Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Posts: 569
Location: Normal, Illinois

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

prolly a religous person who isnt educated. He/she could be a speaker or pastor or whatever, and spread misguided views about whatever religion and get people to follow whatever he said. And it would lead to other people spreading said things. I dunno, just my opinion
_________________
My music
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wing
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 5347
Location: brooklyn, ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

rolandk wrote:
Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?


Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc. A lot of famous murderers were genuises.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xSALx
pushin' record


Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 244
Location: Van Nuys, CA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

The question is easy to answer: ignorant religious people seem to be the most dangerous. C'mon you have them pushing creationism upon various parts of the country. I wish they were smart enough to realize that what they are forcing in some school districts is a clear violation of the 1st and most widely known amendment. I don't really see educated people screwing anything up currently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
trodden
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 07 May 2003
Posts: 5227
Location: C-attle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

wing wrote:
rolandk wrote:
Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?


Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc. A lot of famous murderers were genuises.


Just because your religious doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc.
_________________
http://www.facebook.com/pages/BlackQueen/189157907763139
http://www.facebook.com/brandon.fitzsimons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten


Joined: 05 May 2003
Posts: 2012
Location: portland, or.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

define "dangerous."
_________________
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivon
steve albini likes it


Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

xSALx wrote:
I don't really see educated people screwing anything up currently.


How 'bout George W. Bush's adminstration for the sake of argument.

Edit: Plus, the current commander-in-chief is both religious and educated. Discuss...
_________________
www.myspace.com/nanovukojaniik

www.hurleywaldrip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jamoo
buyin' a studio


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 861
Location: sun children awake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

wing wrote:
A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

I thought this was one of the most interesting questions I've heard posed in a long time (heard it said by my girlfriend who heard it in a class).


Did she hear it from a teacher? If so, I put my money on them being a religious one, because a secularist wouldn't need to ask.

IMO, in this country at least, you have to be educated to not be religious (not to say that religious people are uneducated).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meblumen
steve albini likes it


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 376
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

I'd take education over faith any day. Just because something is written in an old book and your parents told you to believe it does not make it true. Education and intelligence give you the tools to question and investigate ideas about religion without blindly accepting them as so many people do so that you can form your own opinions and understand other perspectives as well. Ignorance is not bliss, its why there are so many problems in this world and its why so many people have been killed in the name of God. Education doesn't always bread tolerance but it usually is a step in the right direction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wing
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 5347
Location: brooklyn, ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

trodden wrote:
wing wrote:
rolandk wrote:
Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?


Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc. A lot of famous murderers were genuises.


Just because your religious doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc.


Totally, I hoped to imply that.


Last edited by wing on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
wing
on a wing and a prayer


Joined: 02 May 2003
Posts: 5347
Location: brooklyn, ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

sonichue wrote:
wing wrote:
A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

I thought this was one of the most interesting questions I've heard posed in a long time (heard it said by my girlfriend who heard it in a class).


Did she hear it from a teacher? If so, I put my money on them being a religious one, because a secularist wouldn't need to ask.

IMO, in this country at least, you have to be educated to not be religious (not to say that religious people are uneducated).


A Pakistani Sociology teacher. To the best of my knowledge, not particularly religious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ivon
steve albini likes it


Joined: 28 Apr 2004
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who is more dangerous? Reply with quote

meblumen wrote:
I'd take education over faith any day. Just because something is written in an old book and your parents told you to believe it does not make it true. Education and intelligence give you the tools to question and investigate ideas about religion without blindly accepting them as so many people do so that you can form your own opinions and understand other perspectives as well. Ignorance is not bliss, its why there are so many problems in this world and its why so many people have been killed in the name of God. Education doesn't always bread tolerance but it usually is a step in the right direction.


I completely agree with what you're saying. But I also think that just because something is written in an old OR new text book - and your professor tells you to believe it does not necessarily make it true.

Much of modern science is based solely on theory and for now, until much of that theory is proven to be true, it takes a considerable amount of faith - yes, faith - to believe that theory is true.
_________________
www.myspace.com/nanovukojaniik

www.hurleywaldrip.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Off-Topic / Off-Color / Off-the-Cuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum