Who is more dangerous?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Who is more dangerous?

Post by wing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:05 pm

A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

I thought this was one of the most interesting questions I've heard posed in a long time (heard it said by my girlfriend who heard it in a class).

Discuss.

(For me, the answer is neither, because there are too many other variables that have influence. Still a very good question nonetheless).

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: Who is more dangerous?

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:10 pm

do either of them have lasers?

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:26 pm

Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?

When you say religious, do you mean an active member of an organized religion or someone who isn't but spiritual in their own way?

What if the religion is the church of satan?
my band: Mission 5

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:37 pm

rolandk wrote:Why would an educated person who is not religious be dangerous?

When you say religious, do you mean an active member of an organized religion or someone who isn't but spiritual in their own way?

What if the religion is the church of satan?
damn you pragmatists!

: )
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:40 pm

prolly a religous person who isnt educated. He/she could be a speaker or pastor or whatever, and spread misguided views about whatever religion and get people to follow whatever he said. And it would lead to other people spreading said things. I dunno, just my opinion

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:55 pm

Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc. A lot of famous murderers were genuises.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:10 pm

The question is easy to answer: ignorant religious people seem to be the most dangerous. C'mon you have them pushing creationism upon various parts of the country. I wish they were smart enough to realize that what they are forcing in some school districts is a clear violation of the 1st and most widely known amendment. I don't really see educated people screwing anything up currently.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:23 pm

wing wrote:
Just because you're educated doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc. A lot of famous murderers were genuises.
Just because your religious doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:29 pm

define "dangerous."
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:29 pm

xSALx wrote:I don't really see educated people screwing anything up currently.
How 'bout George W. Bush's adminstration for the sake of argument.

Edit: Plus, the current commander-in-chief is both religious and educated. Discuss...

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:47 pm

wing wrote:A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

I thought this was one of the most interesting questions I've heard posed in a long time (heard it said by my girlfriend who heard it in a class).
Did she hear it from a teacher? If so, I put my money on them being a religious one, because a secularist wouldn't need to ask.

IMO, in this country at least, you have to be educated to not be religious (not to say that religious people are uneducated).

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:50 pm

I'd take education over faith any day. Just because something is written in an old book and your parents told you to believe it does not make it true. Education and intelligence give you the tools to question and investigate ideas about religion without blindly accepting them as so many people do so that you can form your own opinions and understand other perspectives as well. Ignorance is not bliss, its why there are so many problems in this world and its why so many people have been killed in the name of God. Education doesn't always bread tolerance but it usually is a step in the right direction.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:52 pm

trodden wrote:
wing wrote:
Just because your religious doesn't mean you're not violent, hateful, jealous, murderous, etc.
Totally, I hoped to imply that.
Last edited by wing on Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:53 pm

sonichue wrote:
wing wrote:A religious person who isn't educated, or an educated person who isn't religious?

Did she hear it from a teacher? If so, I put my money on them being a religious one, because a secularist wouldn't need to ask.

IMO, in this country at least, you have to be educated to not be religious (not to say that religious people are uneducated).
A Pakistani Sociology teacher. To the best of my knowledge, not particularly religious.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:05 pm

meblumen wrote:I'd take education over faith any day. Just because something is written in an old book and your parents told you to believe it does not make it true. Education and intelligence give you the tools to question and investigate ideas about religion without blindly accepting them as so many people do so that you can form your own opinions and understand other perspectives as well. Ignorance is not bliss, its why there are so many problems in this world and its why so many people have been killed in the name of God. Education doesn't always bread tolerance but it usually is a step in the right direction.
I completely agree with what you're saying. But I also think that just because something is written in an old OR new text book - and your professor tells you to believe it does not necessarily make it true.

Much of modern science is based solely on theory and for now, until much of that theory is proven to be true, it takes a considerable amount of faith - yes, faith - to believe that theory is true.