What is the best mic for under a hundred bucks?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

What is the best mic for under a hundred bucks?

Post by soundguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:40 pm

I just got a 609 for like $85 new, its pretty cool.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: What is the best mic for under a hundred bucks?

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:59 am

soundguy wrote:I just got a 609 for like $85 new, its pretty cool.

dave
Hi there, Dave! Thank you for opening up such a GRIPPING topic on the first day of the new board.... ;)

Is the 609 cool for real? I havent tried one yet.
I would have to say that the lowly Shure SM57 is still my favorite mic for under 100 dollars.I dont even love them but i am sure I have recorded more things with that microphone than any other at this point...

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:46 am

I got 2 of these super sweet radio shack mics that run on double A's. Seriously, I think they are my favorite mics and I paid like 15 bucks for the pair. I'm not even trying to start a fight with this one, ask eeldip, he knows.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 am

Are they the little black omni condenser things? I have owned a bunch of those over the years. I am down to one, but they totally rock.

The omni intended for use with video cameras. The one with the sub mini plug for the LANC stuff, and the 1/8" for audio....

Those seriously rock.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:53 am

no they are silverish long cardiod things. they kinda look like SM81's, but shittier. Man, there are radioshack omnis? I had no idea. EEEEBBBBAAAAY.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 am

I really do love my Sony ECM717 MD mic that clips onto my collar so nobody knows they're being recorded.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:15 am

I've got a couple 906's on the way, I figured the switchable curve would be worth the extra cost over the 609. Using the submit best offer option on e-bay, the pair came to $250 or so with shipping.

I've never quite gotten what I wanted out of the sm57 on guitar cabs, but I've liked what I've heard of the 609, at least in live applications, so I'm hopeful.

tubejay
pushin' record

Post by tubejay » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:30 am

I'd say 57 for dynamic and Studio Projects B1 for Condensor. If I could only have one, I'd take the......57 probably. Unless I was all acoustic stuff and vocals...then I'd take the B1.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:57 am

i read the review of the new AT2020 (was it the 2020?) in the last tape-op. i'm not sure if it's technically below $100 but having used AT mics before, that (along with a cheap tube mic pre) will be my next purchase for my home studio. i want a LDC, something versatile and with some depth to the sound. i have an MXL and i think it rather sucks.

having said that, i may never make said "next" purchase since this crappy job outside of the recording industry is eating up all of my time and energy. i've only really recorded one thing (my friend matt playing the didgeredoo) in the past few months. but that's neither here nor there...

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:22 am

I was looking at the 609. Is it just a flavor mic or is it usable on a regular basis?

Also, you probably should just sticky this thread Joel. Might as well add one for mic pres and comps too, heh.

Glad the board is back and happy to see you and Chris (amongst others) are modding.

Edit: I used one of those Radio Shack battery powered condencers last week and it certainly rocked!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:37 am

GrimmBrotherScott wrote:I was looking at the 609. Is it just a flavor mic or is it usable on a regular basis?

Also, you probably should just sticky this thread Joel. Might as well add one for mic pres and comps too, heh.

Glad the board is back and happy to see you and Chris (amongst others) are modding.

Edit: I used one of those Radio Shack battery powered condencers last week and it certainly rocked!
I think that stickies just prevent any new dialogue on a given subject. I would rather talk about this same stuff in to months when there is something new to say about it, rather than just keep seeing the same stuff....

Please feel free to PM me (anyone) about suggestions for making this thread easier to navigate, or better in general.

There are so many mic pre's in the world....

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:43 am

joel hamilton wrote:
GrimmBrotherScott wrote:you probably should just sticky this thread Joel.
I think that stickies just prevent any new dialogue on a given subject. I would rather talk about this same stuff in to months when there is something new to say about it, rather than just keep seeing the same stuff....
i agree with joel...the moderators have the ability to merge topics so i'm hoping they'll be making 'best of' types of threads and they can be stickies...
:mrpink: hillary

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:27 am

I just got a 609 as well and they have their uses. You have to watch out though as they can be very gritty/spiky on guitar cabs if youaren't careful with the positioning!
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

GrimmBrotherScott
gettin' sounds

Post by GrimmBrotherScott » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:38 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:
GrimmBrotherScott wrote:you probably should just sticky this thread Joel.
i agree with joel...the moderators have the ability to merge topics so i'm hoping they'll be making 'best of' types of threads and they can be stickies...
:mrpink: hillary
Good points. I was half joking as I remember that the "Best _____ for under $_____" comes up often. I have garnered a lot of good info from those threads though, so your point is quite valid.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:56 am

i might be posting just to see if my posting button workss.. but just so i don't get in trouble..

sm57 and i think i bought the older version of the CAD e100 for 100bux.. i like those two mics a bit.