High Quality Preamp Kits!

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

High Quality Preamp Kits!

Post by SeventhCircle » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:05 am

Look for our ad in the next issue of Tape Op!

Get the color and character of classic solid state preamp designs with Seventh Circle Audio preamp kits. Improve your signal chain, save money, and learn something while you're at it! All preamp kits feature:

* High quality double sided circuit boards, made in USA. Single board design eases assembly and minimizes errors.
* Grayhill rotary switches for stepped gain control. 5 dB steps provide precise, repeatable gain settings.
* Bourns conductive plastic pots for gain trim. Up to 6 dB cut allows "in between" gain settings.
* Gold plated toggle switches for phase and phantom power switching.
* Neutrik XLR connectors.
* Local voltage regulators for improved channel isolation, reliability, and flexibility.

There are currently four preamp modules available, with an active DI on the way. All modules are designed to fit our rugged 2U chassis, the CH01.

Preamps:

A12 - A full-featured single op-amp kit loosely based on the API 312. Accepts our SC25 discrete op-amp or any 2520-style module. Adjustable on-board voltage regulators allow for easy swapping of op-amp modules, and an offset trim maximizes headroom without the complexity of a servo.

C84 - The most "neutral" sounding module, the C84 is a kit version of one of the most popular transformerless preamp circuits. The C84 uses a combination of discrete transistors and IC amplifiers to deliver a clean, uncolored version of your source signal.

J99 - Our version of the famous Jensen Twin Servo preamp. Dual gain stages yield high gain, wide bandwidth, very low distortion, and extremely low noise. Lundahl and CineMag transformers add just a hint of "color".

N72 - A modern recreation of the BA283 circuit used in the 1073, 1272, and other Neve modules. Two carefully implemented gain stages provide up to 70dB of gain with better bandwidth than most racked "vintage" modules.

Power Supply:

PS03 - +/-30V, +48V supply for mixed systems. A sophisticated switching supply designed specifically for audio, the PS03 can deliver more than 80W of power to your preamp modules. Compatible with all of our current modules and the CH01 chassis. Features include jumperless universal AC input, over-current and over-temperature protection, two-stage LC output filters, and LED health indicators on each output rail.

Chassis:

CH01 - Rugged, heavy gauge cold rolled steel chassis provides superior durability and shielding from external magnetic fields. Mu metal power transformer shielding. 3/8" aluminum front panel. Black powder coated chassis and beige panel, drilled and punched for 8 modules and a power supply.

For more details and prices have a look at our web site, and be sure to check out the message board while you're there.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am

do you have a small photo you could link to as well in your thread?
thanks
:mrpink: hillary

broccoli
audio school graduate

Post by broccoli » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:37 pm

tim's kits are amazing! i have 3 A12's and 3 N72's and i absolutely love their respective sounds. rock on tim!

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm part of the way through a C84 and an N72. STOKED!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:10 pm

n72's are super cool, used them religioulsy for years, think I was one of tim's first customers way back when. Definitely the best kit I have seen yet from anyone.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:56 am

I use the N72s and J99s all the time, absolutely excellent pres. A "first try" for every mic in the place, one or the other scores 90% of the time. Great value.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:38 pm

You guys like the A12?

Thinkin' about building one or two of those.

What opamps do you like in there? Sure would be cool to find a couple original 2520's around somewhere.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:09 am

you can't buy 2520's without submitting a broken or disabled one to API. Tim's are cool...

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 am

Sometimes you'll see original 2520's on the 'bay, but you never can tell whether they'll work right.

We have Tim's gain block in our A12's and they sound very good. I think a bit clearer, especially at higher levels, than my 2520's. Overall, the A12 has a higher output than my API's, but I have old 312's with the 8:1 input transformers.

Another very satisfied SCA customer here, though...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

n72

Post by supafuzz » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:56 am

I have the n72 for a few years now and it's the go to preamp at zeroville
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:57 pm

bradb wrote:you can't buy 2520's without submitting a broken or disabled one to API. Tim's are cool...
the new 2520's are really not too much like the older ones if you ask me. They dont sound bad at all, but they just dont have the agressive edge the older stuff did. With other alternatives out there, you are almost better off buying from someone else or looking for an old black label 2520 and paying through the nost for it.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:43 pm

Hey soundguy do you still think the sca 1272 is better than the vintech dual 72? Whatever "better" means to you..
-Matthew Macchio$tab