LOMO 19A-9 and others...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

LOMO 19A-9 and others...

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:20 am

I am the proud owner of three LOMO microphones. LOMO is a Russian manufacturing camera that made missiles and is also well known for its cameras. They also made some really special tube microphones, a couple transistor mics and a few dynamic mics.

I just bought a LOMO 19A-9. I practically stole it for $600. No one bid on it because it looked nothing like the original LOMO 19A-9, which looks like this:
The reason is because the capsule was rebuilt by the Russian company AEG and put in a LOMO M3 style enclosure (the LOMO capsules designed to fit on the Oktava MK-012 bodies). The guts of the original microphone were left in tact but housed in a simple pipe-like enclosure. The PSU was the same and has the original output transformer built into it (the 19A-9s have the output transformer in the PSU rather than in the mic itself). I have used the 19A-9s at Electrical and mine sounds very similar. This mic sounds deluxe on male vocals as well as a drum overhead. It has very rich and beefy low-mid quality to it as well as a very unique upper midrange boost that gives it a lot of personality. It does not have that "sparkly" C12ey high-end thing going on though.

I also have a LOMO 19A-13
This is a magical vocal microphone. I try to use others but it always wins. Male, female, yelling, whispering. Now that I have the 19A-9 it has a good contender, but it still wins most of the time. I love on guitar amps as well, but it does not seem to handle high SPLs as well as some of my other mics. It has a very wide cardiod polar pattern which can make it difficult to use in some scenarios, but also pretty nice in others, such as using it as a drum overhead as a Mid mic in an M-S pair.

The 3rd LOMO mic I own is a dynamic mic called the LOMO 82A-5M.
This mic has a pretty wild freq reponse, as do many older dynamic mics. Ive had some success using on a kick drum or as a secondary guitar amp mic. It looks pretty cool though.

Please share other LOMO stories.
mtar

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 am

I have a 19A19 that I love.I actually even have the pop screen and original shock mount. The pop screen looks like a faberge egg...

I had a Lomo tube EQ that I sold to Dave (soundguy).

I have been looking for a 19A9 for a while.

I wish more information existed about this cmpany, and all its products. The tube EQ I had was out of a console(!) and looked like it was made for battle.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:45 am

joel hamilton wrote:I have a 19A19 that I love.I actually even have the pop screen and original shock mount. The pop screen looks like a faberge egg...

I had a Lomo tube EQ that I sold to Dave (soundguy).
yeah, i talked to you over the phone about that EQ a few years ago. i was bignerd then. it was a pultec (inductor based) design wasn't it?.

the 19A19s are awesome. I think they are a bit brighter than the 19A-9 and 19A-13.

mtar

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:08 am

Great. There goes the neighborhood.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:13 am

cgarges wrote:Great. There goes the neighborhood.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
ha. actually, the nieghborhood's been moving out for a while i think... a 19A-9 went for like $1600 a little while back.

mtar

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:16 pm

boo.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:22 pm

soundguy wrote:boo.

dave
Dave, did you ever get that EQ going?

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:23 pm

no not yet, too many million other things on the bench right now.

dave

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:34 pm

hey have you guys seen those custom racked LOMO mic pres? This tech guy Chip puts them together. They are insanely expensive but look really cool:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:49 pm

I have a Lomo console tube pre for which I paid about a tenth of what Chip wants for those things. I haven't gotten it up and running yet, but it's in line.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:07 pm

chris, when we are done racking those pre's chips price will make a lot more sense... Dude put a lot of work into those things, the faceplate cost him some money...

dave