AKG D112, Sure Beta 52A, Sennheiser e602, RE-20, SM-7??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Professor wrote: As for the clicky kick drum for your metal player, does she actually deliver the sound she wants at the drumset? I mean, does she hear the click she wants while she's playing, or is it the sound delivered out in front of the kit? I just figure the players could help out a little by tightening up the drum and usinng a thick head like an Aquarian.

-Jeremy
naaa.. its the sound on some cd's she has.. heheheh. I think i made the drum sound BETTER than it did when arrived. I tuned it, well kinda, the best I can do at least.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:32 pm

Yeah, I had to deal with a similar request from a drummer in a punk rock band last spring. He used the studio kit, messed around with it a bit and was generally happy with the sound. In mix down he couldn't believe how loud the hi-hats were (he played them 1/2 open all the way through) and he didn't like the kick drum. So I asked him for a reference disc and he brought in NOFX, with this high-pitched tick of a kick drum, and wanted a sound like that. Even if I completely killed the overheads and just used a kick & snare mic, the snare had too much hi-hat bleed for him and the kick (which sounded round and full and punchy) was too low for him. Eventually we just sent him home and I finished the mix with the singer only when it was clear we weren't going to make him happy.

Now they are coming back in this weekend. I'm having him bring his own kit, and I'll mic it from the start aiming for his high, clicky sound on the kick, but I'm also going to lay a lot of it on him. If he wants a particular sound, then HE needs to make some effort to create it too. I might throw a binaural pair right behind his head just so I can reference him back to exactly what it sounds like at his seat. I'd recommend you do a bit of the same with your drummer.

-Jeremy

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:19 am

yeah, been there.

loud hihats. i've been through it enough times that i've found a way to say something about it without sounding like a dick (i think) but it basically comes down to...

'don't hit the hi hat so fucking hard'

right handed drummers that tickle the snare and bash the hihat. damn them all.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:51 am

It should all work out fine. For only playing drums for like 3 years, she's pretty rocking. The only difficulty (besides getting the clicky kick to sound not so weirdo) was snare mic cause she's got this cool thing where she's moving the snare around slightly between her knees depending on what kind of beat.. some would probably say "thats sloppy" but i found it really cool how she become in contact with the kit besides with the sticks. I had to get the snare mic up there in a "general" area and left room for some more hat bleed than desired.

I'm going to try to work out the compressor for click thing this week.

I remember trying an e602 many years ago and being freaking' amazed about how much low end that mic could hear. wouldn't be a bad mic to have.. at the time i used it, i didn't know jack about mic technique and was put off by that.

I found a good use for my beta52 the other day. as a "heart" mic picking up snare and kick, ran it through my RAT pedal before the pre. TRASH!

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:11 am

Well, I'm probably going to have to make a decision between the beta 52a, the re-20, and the e602. I like the descriptions of the e602. The 52a is a standard that people actually seem to like. The re-20 is a classic. I would love a d12 for that reason, but they're hard to find and expensive right? The beta 52a, the re-20, and the e602 seem like the best choices for a good kick mic. I like Zep. and Nirvana drums, as well as many indie sounds like No Knife's last album. Man, that is one of the best sounding CDs! Thurston Moore's solo 'Psychic Hearts' also has great sounding drums. I like big. Not sure if the e602 or re-20 would be best for that...
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:15 am

hmmm tough call. In my world, and if i had to pick ONE, and since i don't know anything about the e902. hands down an RE-20. I find more uses of the RE-20 than a beta 52. RE-20 has worked well on kick, bass, guitar, vox, percussion.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:19 am

Hmmm... I have an SM-7 which lot's of people compair with RE-20s. I wonder how close they really sound to the re-20? Anyone know or use one for kick?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 am

Derrick wrote:Hmmm... I have an SM-7 which lot's of people compair with RE-20s. I wonder how close they really sound to the re-20? Anyone know or use one for kick?
The RE20 seems to have a little more low end than the SM7A I have. The RE20 also sounds more "processed" in the mix than the SM7 which may or may not be appropriate. I actually still use the SM7 outside the kick with the Senhsr inside all the time. RE20 IS a more flexible mic if you are looking to use it for more than just kick.... The 602 is a better KIK mic though IMHO. With a Sage electronics SE1 pre, the e602 is frikkin DEADLY... That has been my #1 setup for a while. Those Sage pre's are insanely good with transient detail.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:42 am

But you're forgetting the Audix D6!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:15 am

Derrick wrote:Well, I'm probably going to have to make a decision between the beta 52a, the re-20, and the e902. I like the descriptions of the e902.
I got confused for second and checked the Sennheiser website. I forgot that there's an e602 and an e902. Since a lot of talk in this thread was about the e602, make sure you know which one you want before buying. According to the PDF spec sheets, they have different EQ curves going on, with the e602 having more bass.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:17 am

Kyle Motor wrote:
Derrick wrote:Well, I'm probably going to have to make a decision between the beta 52a, the re-20, and the e902. I like the descriptions of the e902.
I got confused for second and checked the Sennheiser website. I forgot that there's an e602 and an e902. Since a lot of talk in this thread was about the e602, make sure you know which one you want before buying. According to the PDF spec sheets, they have different EQ curves going on, with the e602 having more bass.
I have the e602, which is the one I thought we were talking about....

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:20 am

joelpatterson wrote:But you're forgetting the Audix D6!
Amen, brother. Nice mic on bass cabs, too.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 am

trods.. i know its too late, but a great way to get a great click is by working with the batter and the head.

they make batters specifically for "click"

and you can do shit like tape shit to the drum head (washers, quarters) at the point of contact.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:52 am

eeldip wrote:trods.. i know its too late, but a great way to get a great click is by working with the batter and the head.

they make batters specifically for "click"

and you can do shit like tape shit to the drum head (washers, quarters) at the point of contact.
yeah, next time faux show!

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:56 pm

I have an e602 and I love it. My .02 on that...

About the click sound. Try putting a new head on the drum, and duct-tape a quarter (like, money) to it, where the beater hits, and than use a wooden beater. Close mic where the beater hits, and than blend with an outside mic (so its not ALL click). Im thinking that the sound she is after is a commonly acquired via triggering, which is going to make it tough to match exactly what she wants, but its worth a shot.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...