Quality of in-box summing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Quality of in-box summing

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:29 am

I just wanted to get people's opinions and experiences with the different DAW packages, and the quality of the summing relative to each other (and relative to outboard mixers) .

For the level I'm working at, I decided that the quality of the Adobe Audition summing will be better, cost benefit wise, than with my current outboard mixers (Mackies), or with anything under $2K. Mind you, I do more theater sound design and live recording more than smashing a drum track.

How does the mileage vary? :D

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:14 pm

I'm not sure how current it is but google for 'awesome dawsum'. it's a cd that has most daws bouncing the same tracks down to two track so you can hear for yourself.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:15 pm

We're back!! Yeahhhhh!

Raw Material (Mackie) Tracktion has a very nice sounding 64-bit buss. You have to like their DAW approach philosophy (I dig it hugely).

Its a great deal at ~ $200 USD with many plugs - good synths and a great mastering comp (FinalMix).

Download demo at www.mackie.com and get tips and techniques (and LOTS of opinion) at the KVR forum.

Our sermon is over; go in peace.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 am

In this situation (theatre sound esp.) the listening environment is going to have soooo much of an impact on what's heard that any benefits of outboard summing (outside of the ultra high end) might just be lost.

for me, there was a noticable difference summing outside of pt with a ramsa board that was no where near high end-y. mixes were bigger in the stereo spectrum (i can't figure that one out) and seemed to stick together better. i'm sure there was a bit of natural squashing going on as the signal ran through the preamps and the summing bus of the board.

keep me in the loop on the shows you're working on keith.

zack

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:42 am

Hey Zack-

Great to see you back too-

Two shows at Mixed Blood: "Indian Cowboy" opening 1/27/06 (3 week run), and "Transposed Heads" (1 week run in May, put on by Ragamala Dance company)

http://www.mixedblood.com/ourseason.asp
http://www.ragamala.net/calendar.html

Sorry for the thread hijack - even though it's mine 8)