Looking for a space in brooklyn

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

ECBRules
audio school

Looking for a space in brooklyn

Post by ECBRules » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:54 am

Hello I am a music producer from Washington DC.

I have had a great recording studio for the last 6 years and the rent was dirt cheap. I just found out they are bulldozing my house, and instead of continuing here in DC, I have decided to relocate to brooklyn / East Williamsburg / Bushwick / Lower East Side etc...

I am looking for a space to put my HD accel Rig as well as a Job and a place to live or an all 3 in one option like a cheap loft to rent. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate any help.

Regards,
keny

http://www.eastcoastbands.com

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:15 pm

The best thing is to just get to the city, find a decent but not great sublet where your not on a lease. Then ask everybody you meet. You'll rarely find a good deal on Craig's list is fine for finding something quick, but to get a good place really its all connections.

That being said, you might check out my building. PM me.

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:56 pm

After looking for over a year, I finally found a good place to work on music in Brooklyn: a disused loft / balcony in a 100 year old church. The loft actually overlooks the main hall of the church, so we get this absolutely enormous reverb. Seriously. My drums have never sounded so good. (Unfotunately, there's no way to turn it off, but beggars can't be choosers.) Plus it is six blocks from my apartment.

Granted this type of situation is not for everyone, but I guess this relates to your post because I found it on craigslist after faithfully waiting for months for the right thing to come along. It is definitely possible. Craigslist is amazing in New York.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:47 am

If you''re trying to open a room you might want to check out Fireproof's space. The owner is mocing to LA. He posted this over at Gearsluts
Link

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:13 am

I was born on Wyckoff Ave. and I NEVER thought I'd see the day when people would talk of moving TO Bushwick! I lived in a nearby "nice" neighborhood, to which people would usually relocate from Bushwick as soon as they could afford it :wink:.

Even back in my father's time (1950s), you didn't go west of Wyckoff Ave. unless you were looking for trouble. He once saw a lone maniac, armed with a baseball bat, beat the living shit out of five or six other guys. And when I was little, my mom was mugged on Myrtle Ave.--in the middle of the day and in full view of other shoppers--and dragged down the street by the getaway car when she refused to let go of the merchandise!

So what's the appeal? Cheap rents? The L train? I drove through there not long ago and it looks pretty much as bombed-out and menacing as it did in the '70s.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:22 am

Times have changed Consider that then that manhattan was affordable. Crime is a lot lower these days, and rent/amount space is little closer to reasonable. Still, its pretty fucking ridiculous. The rich are pushing for 6 or 7 stops out of the city,and beyond. If OT was still active, though, I'd tell you how confident how much it will retrogress with the economy.

Now might not be the best time to come to NY. Save yer money, make sure you have CASH, and come here when the economy explodes.

mixalot
audio school graduate

Post by mixalot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:22 pm

dude i'd like to check that out!!
tret-lo wrote:After looking for over a year, I finally found a good place to work on music in Brooklyn: a disused loft / balcony in a 100 year old church. The loft actually overlooks the main hall of the church, so we get this absolutely enormous reverb. Seriously. My drums have never sounded so good. (Unfotunately, there's no way to turn it off, but beggars can't be choosers.) Plus it is six blocks from my apartment.

Granted this type of situation is not for everyone, but I guess this relates to your post because I found it on craigslist after faithfully waiting for months for the right thing to come along. It is definitely possible. Craigslist is amazing in New York.

mixalot
audio school graduate

Post by mixalot » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:28 pm

unless you have about 10k in your pocket , it could be hard to do what you want to do here.
red hook , sunset park , and bay ridge. anywhere you dont see hipsters. otherwise your gonna be hating the rents. i was just at some guys loft in flushing and he told me he was paying 1800 for his place in the middle of nowhere!

nutz!

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:21 pm

Insane!

My old neighborhood (Ridgewood) seemed relatively devoid of the hipster/yuppie scourge when I visited last summer, but I know it's only a matter of time...

So, I'll just stick around up here in Metro-North country--in my $850 two-bedroom, thank you very much :wink:

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:02 pm

mixalot wrote:unless you have about 10k in your pocket , it could be hard to do what you want to do here.
red hook , sunset park , and bay ridge. anywhere you dont see hipsters. otherwise your gonna be hating the rents. i was just at some guys loft in flushing and he told me he was paying 1800 for his place in the middle of nowhere!

nutz!
Those places are gone, I tried a year ago.

Maybe the Bronx. Still, just come to the city and meet people. There ARE good deals to be found, you just have to be hooked up with them.

ECBRules
audio school

Post by ECBRules » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 am

Whoa I stepped away for a few days and everybody stepped in. Sweet. thanks for the leads y'all I'll be sure to check each and every one out....

Regards,
Keny

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:44 am

NewYorkDave wrote:Insane!

My old neighborhood (Ridgewood) seemed relatively devoid of the hipster/yuppie scourge when I visited last summer, but I know it's only a matter of time...

So, I'll just stick around up here in Metro-North country--in my $850 two-bedroom, thank you very much :wink:
:wink: :wink:

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:51 pm

While the board was down, I had to let go of my $1100 2br in brooklyn, since I was moving in with my ladyfriend (who also has a great deal). I couldn't find anyone who was willing to take it; which burned the hell out of me.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

f

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:03 pm

My project studio/practice space is in Red Hook. Worth looking into while there are still deals around there.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

hisdoodliness
audio school

Post by hisdoodliness » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:46 pm

bushwick is getting more expensive. there are alot of lofts going up. I moved to bushwick about a year ago and my place is great compared to the shoebox i had in manhattan. but it aint that cheap.

Personally I'd look in Jersey City. much cheaper and it takes pretty much the same amount of time to get to union square. If you're set on brooklyn look around the halsey stop, its cheaper/more ghetto there than closer in on the L.