wanted: mastering for thick arrangements

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

wanted: mastering for thick arrangements

Post by drmorbius » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 am

I'm nearing the home stretch on a recording project and helping the band find a mastering engineer. They're open to anyone in the U.S. and are wondering if someone could make a recommendation-

The recording is very dense with a lot of overdubs. Lots of synth and guitar leads doubled and harmonized. Think OK Computer only with guitars slightly more metal and keyboards more in the vein of square wave cheese. I've worked really hard to mix it so that even now, unmastered, the layers of instruments, though there are many, are defined to my liking on many different systems-stereo, headphones, boombox, ear buds etc. and there is consistency from track to track of the volume of the drums, bass, vocals, rhythm and lead guitar etc.--basically what I'm saying is that I don't think these tracks will require major surgery or anything.

That said, however, I know that a lot of mastering engineers consider projects like these to be a lot more stressful and can become frustrated when working on them, while for others these projects are considered their specialty.

The project was recorded in ProTools, and I'm really most concerned with finding a good fit engineer-wise rather than what gear they will use to achieve their results. The band's price range is $1000-$2000, and the album length is 45 minutes, 12 tracks.

Please let me know if any of you out there have had good experiences with mastering engineers working on this kind of material or if you are a mastering engineer who enjoys working on this kind of recording.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:38 am

If their budget is really $2000, they could probably get Chris Blair at Abbey Road to do it. Seriously. If you want the "OK Computer" thing, THAT GUY is in your price range.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:15 am

I think the key will be to talk to potential mastering engineers and tell him or her what you have said here. Emphasize that you're looking for mastering with a 'light touch" to take the project that extra 10% not a wizard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Isn't Jeff Carroll at Blue Field in your area? Go have a one on one talk with him. He's a really cool guy.

Or like Chris said, take a trip to London and go to Abbey Road. Or hit Brian Lucey at Magic Garden in Ohio or Brad Blackwood at Euphonic in Memphis or maybe Doug Mc Bride in Chicago at Gravity.

All the guys I mentioned will listen to what you the client wants and do their best to serve your needs.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:19 am

cgarges wrote:If their budget is really $2000, they could probably get Chris Blair at Abbey Road to do it. Seriously.
Really?!? I could take my recorded-in-a-shower diy mustardpiece and, if I got's the outlay, I can get it mastered at Abbey Road, like any myriad of label recordings?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:37 am

One thing some friends and I were talking about is having a masterer that likes the music can make all the difference..they are more inclined to go the extra mile and do a fantastic job..

I just mastered a tripple album and I loved the music so I really wanted it to be the best it could be..using myself as an example..

find someone who is familiar with and a fan of the style, has the chops and gear, and they will surely be a good match for your tunes..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:22 pm

wedge wrote:
cgarges wrote:If their budget is really $2000, they could probably get Chris Blair at Abbey Road to do it. Seriously.
Really?!? I could take my recorded-in-a-shower diy mustardpiece and, if I got's the outlay, I can get it mastered at Abbey Road, like any myriad of label recordings?
If you pay the rate an M.E. is asking, you can get your answering machine tape mastered by about anyone you want.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 pm

http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote: If you pay the rate an M.E. is asking, you can get your answering machine tape mastered by about anyone you want.
I guess my point is, is the market now at the point where an ME at one of the most respected studios on the planet, is feasibly affordable by a group of teenagers and an Mbox?

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:25 pm

That all depends on what the budget is. There are an awful lot of (awful) cheap options available... The "good guys" rates haven't really been hurt.

I think if a recording (on an M-Box in a basement) comes out really good (which it can if the engineer knows what he/she's doing), then it deserves mastering worthy of the recording.

Whether that's a kid with a cracked set of Waves plugs, or a mid-level dedicated facility (plug!) or a decked-out wonder-room - That's up to the client's budget and wishes.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:59 pm

what the fuck are you talking about?

if a band has $2k to drop on mastering 45 mins of rock material, they can have abbey road. period. was there ever a time whan mastering cost more than $1000 an hr?
beware bee wear

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:57 am

wedge wrote:I guess my point is, is the market now at the point where an ME at one of the most respected studios on the planet, is feasibly affordable by a group of teenagers and an Mbox?
Well, they did take their rates up last year, but it's still affordable. Chris is very good and very fast.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:28 am

Jeff Lipton at Peerless has worked on some very dense records I've recorded - and he always works wonders.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 am

With that budget you should be able to get most ME to master your project. Listen to your favorite CDs and see who mastered it. Then call them and find out if they can do it and what the delivery requirements are. Easy thing to do.

Also no reason to send it overseas if you do not have to. There are some really great ME in the US.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:29 am

audiogeek1 wrote:Also no reason to send it overseas if you do not have to. There are some really great ME in the US.
Being a big Beatles fan, Abbey Road is almost like a shrine to me... Just the idea that my music could waft its way through it's rafters on one fine afternoon makes my skin twitch. Irrational, yes, since I'm sure you're right that there's no need to cross the pond to get excellent results...

Given that, I'm located in Washington DC. Any references for quality MEs around here would be brilliant, as we're ready to master our disk...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:57 pm

MASSIVE Mastering wrote:you pay the rate an M.E. is asking, you can get your answering machine tape mastered by about anyone you want.
Brings to mind that Westerberg tune on Let It Be (OK, they are all Westerberg tunes! besides the Kiss cover); that was probably a trip!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.