recording school, smeshording shul

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:38 pm

I really like all of the things that have been said here! Its great to see the Professor still working at being an awsome guy.

Now about recording school.

I graduated a year ago next week. My school resulted in no big time internship at some big serious studio editing drum tracks for nickleback. I left school and went home to a studio that I had already interned at for 6 months. Fastforward a year from graduation. NO JOB, NO WORK. The studio I was "assiting" at didnt have enough work to truly employ me.

As an umemployed audio school grad I can say, however, that I still think I went to great school. I learned a lot. Experience will teach me more But I am very happy having learned the things I did when I did. Im also very lucky I don't have $14,000 hanging over my head
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Is that Seth up there?
In all fairness, you have to figure that you're in Idaho so the pickins for studios may be kinda slim. And even if you were looking in the Portland & Seattle areas before that, it's still kinda slim.
But if you could move to a place where there's lots of audio happening like LA, NYC, Nashville, Chicago, etc. you might stand a better chance. Of course, you can also hang in ID for a bit, save up some cash, hone some skills, and then prepare for that kind of move.

-J

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:06 pm

Yo Professor!

Yep its me! Still the same old story. I just wanted to say I had a good experience at a recording school even if I didnt get much out of it. And yes being in Idaho contributes to slim pickin's of jobs opportunities
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Dave-H
pushin' record

Post by Dave-H » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:59 am

Gabe I really like your thread! How & Why are what you want to know. I am finishing up a class at Mark Rubel's Pogo studio & I will have to say I have enjoyed all of it. Yes it was an Introduction to rercording class & a few weeks were spent on recording history & stuff I didn't really need but was interesting. We didn't get alot of hands on time but we learned about mic use, processors & stuff like that. All in all a VERY GOOD course! This class was through the local CC, Parkland College & was more set up as A intro class for music majors. Mark is a great guy & really loves his life in recording. You can tell from just being around him! To read more about him& Pogo Studio read the May - June issue of Tape Op.
Dave Huffman
Will Drum For Money

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm

i went to a well known engineering university in their (at the time,) brand new "music industry" major. they promised to have all these new facilities for us to work in. i never saw those, but i hear they completed them after i dropped out. the program combined performance, theory, recording, live reinforcement, music business, etc.....not a specifically recording geared major. our live sound teacher was great......an old head who claimed to have been the first guy to use stage monitors (!!!) with the Byrds. woodstock, pink floyd, zeppelin, sex pistols.. he was cool, and took notice of me. i asked him one day in class, "when we get out of here, will anyone care about our degree?" he asked if i wanted the truth, i said of course, and he said no. between that answer and a robust drug habit, i wasnt long for classes after that....

i've got to say though, most of the stuff i went over while i was there was really essential to my understanding of audio. i've been the house engineer at a theater out here for 3 seasons now, and the "liberal arts" approach of that curriculum allowed me to have a handle on the live thing, and give me a place to start with my off-time recording.

HOWEVER, finally....85% of my audio knowledge has come from reading, listening, and jumping in with both feet.

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Back when I was a young whipper-snapper, the one really valuable thing I lerned in recording school was how to edit really really well. Yeah, we were using tape, but the lessons still apply today in many ways. Other than that, I learned more by buying a 4-track and a couple of mics etc and playing with them endlessly.