Good Drum machine for practicing? Alesis SR-16?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Good Drum machine for practicing? Alesis SR-16?

Post by T-rex » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:12 am

Hey all!

From recording my own drumming over the last couple of years and also having recorded some really fine drummers from other bands, I want to tighten up my timing and consistency.

I am looking for a simple drum machine that will allow me to program some beats in on the spot and play along with, at any tempo. I am sure any drum machine can do this but I was looking at the Alesis SR-16 (especially since someone is selling one here). Any tips on a good simple drum machine for this purpose? Or anyone used the Alesis?

Also, it would be nice to be able to quickly program some rhythms in for tracking along to. I use Cubase and sometimes do the click/mouse thing but I am more of a hands on guy. For me, getting a good rhythm for a band or artist to play along with is a little time consuming through midi, so that would ba an added bonus.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:48 am

I used the HR and the SR for years. They totally work. They will work well for what you are wanting to do.

I actually like some of the sounds in those things... I know THAT will be a popular statement....
;)

herodotus
pluggin' in mics

Post by herodotus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:09 am

You don't really need a standalone drum machine unless your DAW is in a separate room from your drums.

Cubase with a midi controller plus a drum module like drumatic will do the job.

If you can't stand synth drums, plugsound free has some useful sampled sounds to play with.

If you don't have a controller and don't want to buy one (though you can get them for dirt cheap these days), Trollo will work as one.

All of this software is free.

This is what I have been using and I much prefer it to a drum machine because I can e.q. and compress the hell out of the sounds for maximum penetration. I always used to lose the click track when I was playing, but now I never do.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:17 am

Thanks Joel, awesome just what I was looking for.

Thanks for the suggestion Herodotus, unfortunately (for this anyway) my tracking room is across the hall from my "control room" where my board, limited outboard and computer are. I could program various things in the DAW, and I have, but I think this will be much more user friendly.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Re: Good Drum machine for practicing? Alesis SR-16?

Post by segaface » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 am

T-rex wrote:I am looking for a simple drum machine that will allow me to program some beats in on the spot and play along with, at any tempo. I am sure any drum machine can do this but I was looking at the Alesis SR-16 (especially since someone is selling one here). Any tips on a good simple drum machine for this purpose? Or anyone used the Alesis?
I used to have one of these: Image 3 or 4 years ago and I remember it was dead easy to program and some of the kits sounded pretty darn good. I've been kicking myself since I sold it.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:35 pm

SR-16 rocks for that sort of stuff. Easy to use, pretty good sounds, and you can use a footswitch to add fills while you're playing along.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:59 pm

Boy I don't like the sound of an SR-16. DR-550/660 has much better samples to my ear. Bear in mind that I'm an electronic musician, and that I actually like samples -- yeah I said it -- the SR-16 is kinda grainy-sounding for my taste. On the flip-side, there are definitely some real cool features on the SR-16, though -- the A/B/Fill pattern is genius, and the programming's pretty straight-forward.

I've just ordered a Yamaha Qy-70 this week. I had a lot of fun with one when a friend of mine loaned it to me, and I've started riding the bus to work. Can't wait to freak out on beats on the bus. Hot.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:41 pm

I wouldn't sweat it. any ol drum machine will do what you need.

I totally agree with going hardware for what you want to do. they're also great to have around as a po mans signal generator when you're just trying to test signal flow. it's a lot easier to listen to for 20 minutes than 1000hz tone.

Will

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:33 pm

programming-wise, the dr660 suck major ass compared to the Korg ER-1. but i still kik myself for ditching the boss - i would'a used the korg to trigger the boss when i wanted more real(-ish) sounds than the ER-1 can manage.

but at least the electribe gear features a simple 808-style step program interface.

i found that the easiest way to loose the vibe was to go into the world of intense midi programming. if you can simply smack something out as the tunes bangin' away then you may even feel like a musician!!!

:)

chris
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:08 am

I would say aviod the SR-16 - the rubber key contacts start to go south on those things pretty fast at this age. The old electribes can be found for cheap - but nothing is going to get you the performance of a midi controller and a freeware drum module going into a DAW.

That said, I prefer hardware - thats why I own the machinedrum. But thats another thread altogether.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:18 am

Milkmansound wrote:I would say aviod the SR-16 - the rubber key contacts start to go south on those things pretty fast at this age. The old electribes can be found for cheap - but nothing is going to get you the performance of a midi controller and a freeware drum module going into a DAW.

That said, I prefer hardware - thats why I own the machinedrum. But thats another thread altogether.
That is weird. I had an HR 16 for like 10 years and the pads have never crapped out once for me.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:13 pm

That's the one thing the guy mentioned who is selling his on here. He said it works well but the pads aren't as sensitive as they should be. I looked at the Zoom version also, but I am trying to keep the budget low as this is mainly for practice duties. Although, the local music go round has an older HR for REALLY cheap. I am going to swing by there and see what's up with it.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:36 pm

T-rex wrote:That's the one thing the guy mentioned who is selling his on here. He said it works well but the pads aren't as sensitive as they should be. I looked at the Zoom version also, but I am trying to keep the budget low as this is mainly for practice duties. Although, the local music go round has an older HR for REALLY cheap. I am going to swing by there and see what's up with it.

Now strangely enough, between the HR and the SR, I like the HR better. The samples are much... Crunchier.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:49 pm

T-rex wrote:That's the one thing the guy mentioned who is selling his on here. He said it works well but the pads aren't as sensitive as they should be. I looked at the Zoom version also, but I am trying to keep the budget low as this is mainly for practice duties. Although, the local music go round has an older HR for REALLY cheap. I am going to swing by there and see what's up with it.

Yeah but I bought mine used and they were like this before I even had the unit and in all the years I've had it they haven't gotten any worse. Plus I've known quite a few other people who have owned SR-16s over the years and none of them ever had a problem. I don't think they are full proof, it's certainly not the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem but I think they aren't the worst offenders out there. Personally I usually used an external controller or a computer to trigger the samples so it was never an issue. Overall I think for doing anything other than hip-hop or electronica, the SR-16, at it's price is a decent buy. The sounds can come off a bit dated but the the programming is very easy and with a little tweaking you'd be suprised at the stuff you can do. On a side note I owned an mmt-8 for years and years and the pads all worked fine.

p.s. I have an SR-16 for sale if anyone is interested (apologies in advance for the shameless plug).

ronron
audio school

zoom,boss akai

Post by ronron » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:08 am

i like the sounds of both the alesis boxes. i had a boss dr-550, sold it for $70 and i doubt if the prices have gone up. a sampler can also be had used for less than either alesis, akai s20 s are all over ebay, don't pay more than $90. I would avoid yamaha for cheaper gear, and the zooms get a lot of shitty uaer reviews, but if it's just for plactice, why not a zoom $99 pos? i doubt if it sounds any more like real drums that an sr, and if it's just to work on your timing, just buying a drum machine is a commitment, i would use a metronome (assuming you want to play live style drums, swing velocity,etc?)