Good Drum machine for practicing? Alesis SR-16?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:54 am

Just an update, I picked up an Alesis HR 16 with manual and power supply for $40 at the local music go round. Played around with it last night and it works perfectly (as far as I can tell). Thanks for the tip Joe, I didn't even know the HR existed, but I did a quick search on the web and found one right down the street!

It's perfect for what I was lokng for and I know it probably sounds backwards, given the infinite number of possibilities you have on a computer, but I really prefer playing around with this thing to the comp. Just looping a beat and being able to mess with it. Can't wait to run it through some gear and pedals and completely screw up the sounds.

Sweet! Thanks everyone for the tips!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:57 pm

T-rex wrote:Just an update, I picked up an Alesis HR 16 with manual and power supply for $40 at the local music go round. Played around with it last night and it works perfectly (as far as I can tell). Thanks for the tip Joe, I didn't even know the HR existed, but I did a quick search on the web and found one right down the street!

It's perfect for what I was lokng for and I know it probably sounds backwards, given the infinite number of possibilities you have on a computer, but I really prefer playing around with this thing to the comp. Just looping a beat and being able to mess with it. Can't wait to run it through some gear and pedals and completely screw up the sounds.

Sweet! Thanks everyone for the tips!
Hot. Enjoy!

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:09 am

I'm chiming in late but Fruity Loops (a software step sequencer) is easy and fun, has some inspiring features and you can record (bounce) any especially groovin' rhythms you make to .wav file.

If you have a laptop it's portable, too. Working download is free - its pretty cool stuff check it out.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****