seeking advise / tascam dp01fxcd

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

R. Sell
audio school

seeking advise / tascam dp01fxcd

Post by R. Sell » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:55 am

Hello

I am thinking about purchasing a Tascam dp01fx/cd 8 track digital recorder. I am new to the home recording process. Any advise on what additional gear I should purchase or not purchase. I play indie drone / dirges type off stuff. After doing some research on my own it seems like a good unit to buy. I want to keep things simple and have no interest in recording with a computer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, R. Sell.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: seeking advise / tascam dp01fxcd

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:16 pm

R. Sell wrote:Hello

I am thinking about purchasing a Tascam dp01fx/cd 8 track digital recorder. I am new to the home recording process. Any advise on what additional gear I should purchase or not purchase. I play indie drone / dirges type off stuff. After doing some research on my own it seems like a good unit to buy. I want to keep things simple and have no interest in recording with a computer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, R. Sell.
The fact that you "have no interest in recording with a computer" severely limits your options in todays market, especially a consumer grade device.

Personally, I would rather have all the benefits of digital if I was recording digital.
(i.e. a GUI with easy to edit, manipulate waveforms and easy manipulation of data in general).

If you wound up with a simple little DAW setup and a couple of good microphones and pre's, you could be rocking right away.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN:

Make an awesome record with some weird hard disk recorder and come back and laugh in my face. Take your own route no matter what any asshole says on the interweb.