Modding a 3630?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Modding a 3630?

Post by logancircle » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:01 am

Anyone know about this? Do I need special devices? I'd love to make this thing better/good. Thanks!

cd in DC
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:09 pm

"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

logancircle
tinnitus

Oh.,..

Post by logancircle » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks for the links. I have only ever done basic :roll: soldering (rewiring snakes and cables, home electric stuff) and don't know if this is out of my league. Is this a job for someone more advanced?
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:09 pm

I have 2 of these pieces of dog shit. Never even plug them in anymore. They were just kind of sitting in my rack till I could add another Aphex 661 and another distresser. Good knows clients like to see full racks...

Anyway, I got the Black Lion kit. Didn't really know what to expect but I figured fuck it, it's only $115. So I ordered it. I got the one that's warmer, not so transparent. It took me about 7 hours to do and I have to say, I'm really impressed. I really like it on bass. I don't track with it. I love my Fatso too much for that. But on mixdown, when I'm looking for that little bit of extra grit, I love it. It adds a nice bit of character. Sounds good on kick and snare too. Haven't tried it on vocals yet. Haven't really had a singer in yet that I thought would benefit from it. But we'll see, I'm curious what it would sound like on the right guy.

So, all I'm saying is, I'm really happy with it. It's no 1176, but really what do you expect out of a $100 compressor with a $115 mod. But I will tell you this. This thing def. rocks now. I use it all the time and that's saying something considering I haven't had it plugged in for over 2 years.

I'm no pro with a soldering gun either but I took my time and found that it wasn't that hard to do. Actually had a lot of fun with it. So much so that I just took delivery of my first 2 Seventh Circle Audio N72 preamps. These are a different animal all together but I feel confident that I'll do a good job on them. Started last nite and I have all the resistors in. Gonna go now and start on the rest.

Steve
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.