Fun mic pres?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Fun mic pres?

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:41 am

I was just eading about the Helios 69 reissue thing...

I have been really digging the Sage Electronics SE-1 class A pre lately. Totally my go to for kick and snare these days bar none. Insanely good with transient detail.

Anybody found anything cool lately? what have you been digging?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:04 am

transformers are wrong in the helios.

big suprise.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 am

My meager contribution is the Altec 1589b...cheap, funky, and massively colored.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:07 am

I just today ordered a Grace 101, a hugely significant purchase. Hundreds of dollars.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:07 am

soundguy wrote:transformers are wrong in the helios.

big suprise.

dave
What was it, and what did they toss in there on the reissue?

That is lame.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 am

the bellari mp105 is fun. you know.. its $40.

i've totally abused the inside as well. actually its somewhat hi fi at this point. but i've only got 30-40db of usable gain now.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:55 am

joelpatterson wrote:I just today ordered a Grace 101, a hugely significant purchase. Hundreds of dollars.
one of the cleanest and best sonding mic amps I've ever heard. Good Job!

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:09 pm

After borrowing a friends Berlant Concertone Custom Recorder preamp for a session, I grabbed one off ebay. It's the preamp section from a '50's reel to reel recorder. For lack of better words it has sort of a soft/squishy kind of sound. I like it on vocals where a little drive and color is called for.

Unfortunately mine didn't come with the input and output transformers and is still a little sick. Mine has a a lot of noise and goes into an almost tremelo-like oscillation when the gains are dimed but I needed a winter project.

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:12 pm

mjau wrote:My meager contribution is the Altec 1589b...cheap, funky, and massively colored.
I've been figuring out how to mod the 1588B input module for higher gain and cleaner performance. Should be cool. No reason these *have* to be messy.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:16 pm

Skipwave wrote:
mjau wrote:My meager contribution is the Altec 1589b...cheap, funky, and massively colored.
I've been figuring out how to mod the 1588B input module for higher gain and cleaner performance. Should be cool. No reason these *have* to be messy.
Awesome...you'll have to let us know what you find out. If I could get this thing to be a little less noisy, I'd buy more of 'em.

Skipwave
takin' a dinner break

Post by Skipwave » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:19 pm

eeldip wrote:the bellari mp105 is fun. you know.. its $40.

i've totally abused the inside as well. actually its somewhat hi fi at this point. but i've only got 30-40db of usable gain now.
Mine too. I'm waiting for Matt to send me his latest innovation. Something about FET and Darlington arrangement. Sounds like fun.

This box even sounds good after only the basic upgrades of tube and ICs. Maybe I should say "useful" instead of good.
"I want to be champion of the world, or champion of something." -Duchamp

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:30 pm

Skipwave wrote:
eeldip wrote:the bellari mp105 is fun. you know.. its $40.
Mine too. I'm waiting for Matt to send me his latest innovation. Something about FET and Darlington arrangement. Sounds like fun.
This box even sounds good after only the basic upgrades of tube and ICs. Maybe I should say "useful" instead of good.
mine is a collaboration with matt as well. i put in some clarostat fancy pots, but i picked 100K ones to lower the resistance in the circuit.. and uh.. well matt redesigned a few things that made it actually work.

the input opamp chip now does nothing but buffer. which is why i lost all that gain. but its become a nice bright pre (didnt expect that would happen) esp after totally replacing all the resistors and caps in the audio circuit.

i also followed matts advice in put better diodes in the voltage multiplier circuit. if you havent done that.. its pretty easy and i think it makes a quick upgrade to the power portion of the circuit.

alright. gotta buy another and see what matt has in store again. i mean.. you know.. at $100 a channel including all the upgrades why not?

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 pm

I'm really excited about the new Chandler germanium pres (supposedly somewhat reminiscent of the Neve 1057's) that are coming out soon.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Meriphew wrote:I'm really excited about the new Chandler germanium pres (supposedly somewhat reminiscent of the Neve 1057's) that are coming out soon.
me too.

I love the neve germanium stuff.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:51 pm

I just ordered one of the Chandler Germanium pres but I dont think they will be shipping for a while. Something tells me December or January. Anyway, the distortion knob looks like it could be fun with electric guitars.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors