techniques for getting new clients

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chillhouse
studio intern

techniques for getting new clients

Post by chillhouse » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:27 am

so i'm coming to the end of one of those cycles of good steady work and i need to get some fresh (client) faces in the studio. apart from the obvious methods of getting the word out via advertising, does anyone have any new and inventive techniques/observations in this ever changing and competitive studio landscape?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:24 am

I go to local shows all the time and people see there all the time and know that I am sincere about music. This draws a lot. I haven't really done to much of advertising outside of flyer that i have handed to people personally or hung up at venues. If people see you are into music or their "scene" then that helps a lot and they will feel more comfortable recording with you aswell and that leads to better performances and recordings, ect....

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:30 pm

I can tell you from my experience that offering to be completely honest and provide an awesome recording does little to get you new clients.

Im working on plan b.

gotta hang out with more music industry types and learn how to be all "slick", then I'll have tons of work.

I cant wait.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:50 pm

I've been lucky, I guess. I've mostly been a "word-of-mouth" engineer, especially over the last 3 years. I started over 10 years ago getting my friends in to record for a bottle of JD, smokes, and food. Then sooner or later that turned in to outside clients and a legit paid full-time business. When things would get slow or stale all I'd have to do is go to the bars where the local rocker hung out and one thing would lead to the next where two months later they'd be in to record. I never pushed it on anyone nor did I want them to feel like I had ulterior motives. I'm sure if I sold myself a little harder I'd have more consistent work but I just can't do it. Call it a contempt for those that can sacrifice integrity for food on the plate and bills being paid on time.

So yeah, hanging out while getting to know other musicians helps. Also bonding with the bigger fish (mid to large studio engineers) helps as well; I sometimes get business from other studios that are booked solid and I'll get the trickle-down, even some work at their studio(s), or get some freelance hours at an insane discount without me asking... all because I'm casual... plus my recording integrity helps too. Then there's the saying "nice guys don't get paid".

I advertised in the Yellow Pages for a couple years but that didn't do much other than suck money out of my account, it wasn't cheap. Most of the clients I got from that mainly were people asking me if I could transfer their vinyl to CD-R's... sure I'll do it but it would cost them a small fortune.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:10 am

soundguy wrote:gotta hang out with more music industry types and learn how to be all "slick", then I'll have tons of work.
More hair care products. That's what you need. More hair care products.

CG

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:21 am

oh. and sleeping with rock stars.
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:17 am

Well, there's a big difference between "awesome" recordings and stuff where you're establishing the new standard for clarity and realism, and if you can do that, people HOUND you, at least that's what I find.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:02 pm

Run a promotion like free drugs with every session cuz we all know musicians like drugs...ok sorry long day at work. Seriously though, I think word of mouth is the absolute best thing for any business, especially a recording studio. I think in many cases advertising is a waste of money because it is so costly and your target demographic is so small. Even if it brought you 1 or 2 additional clients here and there would it be enough to offset your advertising expenses, I don't know but I'm just putting that out there. However, word of mouth is not only free but it never comes off like someone is trying to sell something.

How to generate word of mouth business? It's difficult and sometimes slow but I think you should just get out there and imerse yourself in the music community, maybe even offer to record a few 'key' bands for free. Not whole records but a song or two, enough for them and others to get a feel that you are a good guy to work with and someone who produces a quality product. Just my 2 cents.

Jupiter 4 Studio
gettin' sounds

Post by Jupiter 4 Studio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:06 am

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that advertising doesn't work. Word of mouth does. To encourage word of mouth I offer anyone that gets me a paying gig 10% of the recording budget of that gig. Refer me a band that books a $2000 session and you get $200 for doing nothing but saying "Steve does a great job recording"

So far that little incentive has been working pretty well.
Over my head, I hear music in the air.
Over my head I hear music.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:04 pm

alissa wrote:oh. and sleeping with rock stars.
I've tried doing that, but I look just like my avatar. Doesn't get me very far.

dracofhc
audio school

pretend your a band leader

Post by dracofhc » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:12 pm

I absolutely agree with all the people that say word of mouth is the best way to do it. But take that one step further. Establishing a reputation is important but you MUST establish the correct reputation. Pretend you are a band leader and thinking about getting your band into a studio. What kind of engineer would you want to hire. Personally, I would want somebody that is fun to be around. If I were to go to a studio and drop upwards of $1000 on a record, I want to walk out of there going "damn, that was fun" not "well our record sounds good but I'm glad to be out of there". You need to make any musician you work with feel totally and completely comfortable. If you can do that people will start to tell their friends "man I had the best time recording with Jim last week. We had a blast". I would definitely never trust a studio I found out about through advertising. It could potentially be a waste of my $1000 and a crappy time. Just be fun.

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:56 pm

does anyone else feel a bit like a phony bastard when introducing yourself to potential clients?
for example, i'll be at a show and really like a band and start talking to them and we'll be having a good time over some PBR's, but then it's time to switch to business mode and i'm always afraid they'll think i was only being friendly because i wanted their business. i'm brand-spanking-new at this whole business, so maybe it's just something to get used to, but as of now, it just feels a bit awkward.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 pm

narcopolo wrote:does anyone else feel a bit like a phony bastard when introducing yourself to potential clients?
for example, i'll be at a show and really like a band and start talking to them and we'll be having a good time over some PBR's, but then it's time to switch to business mode and i'm always afraid they'll think i was only being friendly because i wanted their business. i'm brand-spanking-new at this whole business, so maybe it's just something to get used to, but as of now, it just feels a bit awkward.
if you feel that way, just don't talk business until you catch their next show.
if they see you out a second time, they'll trust you more.

I wish I had the money back from my yellow pages ad last year. I'd much rather have an sm7.
I also got lots of calls about vinyl transfers. the only other calls I got were for people who absolutely "HAVE TO record some demos tomorrow", and "producers" wanting to sell me beats.

DavidM
audio school graduate

whoring your business

Post by DavidM » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:29 pm

narcopolo wrote:does anyone else feel a bit like a phony bastard when introducing yourself to potential clients?
I feel like a total douchebag if I straight out approach a new band.
If a band is worth a damn they're going to meet tons of producers, engineers,
hangers-on, etc. I don't want to be the new asshole on the block.

If a band is good, it's a given I want to make their record. So I just talk to them about whatever. Eventually, they always ask me what I do:
"Are you in a band?" etc. At that point I just tell them, "I run a studio" or "I record music." I never give a sales pitch or try to coerce somebody.

When I played in bands I never wanted to work with the guys that were all up in my grill promising me stuff.

Pretty much every job I get is from word of mouth though. Even if it's not from
bands I've worked with. People in the local scene know what I do, so I get recommendations that way a lot too.

DM.
"200 degrees that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit"

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:55 am

word of mouth is the best.

Word of mouth comes in many forms. The best is the kind that comes directly from the band that enjoys working with you, directly to a band that is looking to record. However, the most common form is "buzz". People eventually know the name, have seen it on records that they like, have overheard their friends talking about it. Buzz is very good, but I've come to realize that "buzz" does not bring business. It's like a seed, and it won't grow until you water it.

So, what I've been doing is making an annual CD Sampler. But it's not a cheesey demo, it's an actual compilation record, something that people will want to listen to because it's a good record, not because they want to hear my work. I try to go all out, silkscreened artwork, carefully selected music and a carefuly laid out sequence. Then I drop them off at local labels, local record stores, shows, etc. to be given away for free. Im working on my second one right now. I only mde about 30 of the first one, and I know several bands that have decided to come to my studio after hearing it. And what's interesting is that most of the comments regarding the sampler were about the songs rather than the recording itself. Bands like good music, and if you're recording it, they want to be a part o the party. Disclaimer: Be sure to get written permission from the bands before doing this!

going out and being immersed in the local music community is also important. However, some of us (me) don't have enough time to eat a turkey sandwich, let alone go out to a bar a couple of times a week. Playing in a local band helps quite a bit as well