what mics does ?uestlove use?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

emotron inc.
audio school

what mics does ?uestlove use?

Post by emotron inc. » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:48 am

Holy God am I glad to see the board up and running. Down to biz: Does anyone know what microphones Ahmir Thompson of the Roots uses? Don't care which album, but if you know what mics are used in what album I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone know the deal?

max
Can I kick it?

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: what mics does ?uestlove use?

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:05 pm

emotron inc. wrote:Holy God am I glad to see the board up and running. Down to biz: Does anyone know what microphones Ahmir Thompson of the Roots uses? Don't care which album, but if you know what mics are used in what album I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone know the deal?

max
this is a really good question. There's an article here:
http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_roots/
it talks abit about kick mic'ing, and about pres and consoles used, but that's it.

I really wish tapeop would do an article or interview on ?uestlove. He's seriously one of the most interesting musician/producers alive, and his records sound great.

But, y'know, he's black. And he probably doesn't own any Broken Social Scene.

Cripes! This thread is already off-topic! Should it be moved to the "tapeop mag" forum? Or should it have originally been moved to "gear talk"?

I'm so confused.

bradb
pushin' record

Post by bradb » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:40 am

I love his drum machine mimicing on the Jay-Z live records...

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 pm

yeah, i'm a hip hop dude which i guess puts me in the serious minority on this board. one of the first questions i asked when i got on this board was how did the roots get that sound for the seed 2.0. that recording was magical- drum sounds out of this world.

i remember reading in the latest issue of tapeop magazine about them wanting to do an article on a relevant hip-hop producer but haven't had success getting that done yet. i know i equally love indie stuff and hip-hop and try to apply tecniques from one to the other...

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:58 pm

luckybastard wrote:yeah, i'm a hip hop dude which i guess puts me in the serious minority on this board. one of the first questions i asked when i got on this board was how did the roots get that sound for the seed 2.0. that recording was magical- drum sounds out of this world.

i remember reading in the latest issue of tapeop magazine about them wanting to do an article on a relevant hip-hop producer but haven't had success getting that done yet. i know i equally love indie stuff and hip-hop and try to apply tecniques from one to the other...
I remember that thread. I bought "Headphone Masterpiece" after that.

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:07 pm

cool, i had seen cody twice before he had worked with the roots. no matter what you think of that recording, he is an awesome performer. do you do hip-hop stuff?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:41 pm

He did great work on the first Joss Stone record, also.
Last edited by vvv on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:44 pm

luckybastard wrote:cool, i had seen cody twice before he had worked with the roots. no matter what you think of that recording, he is an awesome performer. do you do hip-hop stuff?
actually, no, not at all. I'm a total indie dude. But damn if "indie" doesn't "suck balls" lately. I've been getting into hiphop/rap only because it seems to be the only genre where people care about songcraft and stagecraft and the rest. So, I'm pretty new to all of this. Fill me in, please!

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:11 pm

funny story... i'm a black dude living in se dc... came of age in the late eighties and nineties and was pretty much like my peers... i lived through the hip hop golden age... remember the first biggie album, knew i was seeing something special in 93 when i saw outkast's first video...remember where i was when i heard tupac died...u know all that shit... funny thing is around 98-99, i was feeling about hip-hop like you feel about indie. i had no background with rock at all... so i went to the used music store right off campus and bought nevermind and ten. those two albums and later ok computer changed my life. a year or two later i had a guitar and started a rock band...

anyways... i'm with you about how alot of indie stuff sucks(no i'm not talking about the esoteric out of the mainstream stuff so don't flame me but you gotta admit those bands are few and far between) and the only thing that grabs me these days it what timbaland, neptunes(some stuff), rich harris and that swedish dude who do the brittany spears shit is doing... i feel they are pushing the envelope in the pop realm like it hasn't been pushed in a long while... so musically i just take what i've been doing for the last 5 years in rock and kind of meld it into the music i grew up on and hope i like the results...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:12 pm

?uestlove is pretty great. Have you guys heard the first Nicka Costa record. He's all over it and sounds great!

This is a cool topic but I'm gonna move over tp the gear forum.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 pm

luckybastard wrote:swedish dude who do the brittany spears shit.
did he do "toxic"? That song is crazy great.

Have you heard that M.I.A. record?

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 am

yeah, he did toxic...

i heard the mia record and was underwhelmed, although she has a spot on the missy elliot record that was pretty good. a friend of mine named craig brockman did the track... it's crazy...

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:06 am

luckybastard wrote:yeah, he did toxic...

i heard the mia record and was underwhelmed, although she has a spot on the missy elliot record that was pretty good. a friend of mine named craig brockman did the track... it's crazy...
yeah, the M.I.A. thing is weird. I like it, but it's weird how many of my friends picked it up and were like "OMFG!!!!!" It's really not that different than alot of stuff coming out of this country. Of course, they would never pick up a missy cd.

speaking of which, I was just at iTunes and was "underwhelmed" by the new Pharrell single. The neptunes guys seem to be getting more sparse with their arraignments... I don't know... I think even I could have come up with that backing track.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: what mics does ?uestlove use?

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:33 am

emotron inc. wrote:Holy God am I glad to see the board up and running. Down to biz: Does anyone know what microphones Ahmir Thompson of the Roots uses? Don't care which album, but if you know what mics are used in what album I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone know the deal?

max
He lives in th same building as me here in Brooklyn these days.. Maybe i will bump into him in the elevator...

he moved up from philly a while back...

I just did a tracking session with Adam Deitch, and we got some SICK breakbeat type of sounds happening. Amazing. That kid is great with that sort of thing...

luckybastard
takin' a dinner break

Post by luckybastard » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:58 am

i agree with you on the pharrell shit... i personally believe the neptunes have been hit or miss for the last 3-4 years. but nobody's really stepped out there to take the baton. i mean kanye's out there but he's a sampler and is really known for a certain sound, if yuo get him out of his element, there's really nothing spectacular about the way he works. they tried to hype kool and dre up as the next neptunes but nothing they've done besides hate it or love it has done anything for me. so right now, timbaland is still king...