Best choice for single mic purchase - Ribbon? Large Diaph?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

luther
audio school

Best choice for single mic purchase - Ribbon? Large Diaph?

Post by luther » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:11 pm

Hello,
I'm planning to buy an MBox and start using ProTools soon at home. I'll be recording myself primarily, and most of it will be coming direct from synths/samplers.
However, I wanted to buy one nice mic for doing vocals/melodica/guitar/whatever else I may encouter that I want to capture acoutstically.

I've used a Coles 4038 in the past and I thought it sounded great. I'm considering getting one of these, but I wondered what the pros/cons would be between that and a $1000-ish large diaphragm condenser in terms of overall flexibility.

Additionally, how do the pres sound on the MBox? Should I assume I need to buy a nice pre to go with my mic or does the stock pre sound decent?

I would appreciate your feedback.
best,
luther

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Get the best condenser you can possibly afford, then save up and get a good mic pre. record a lot, and make it sound good. Nothing will beat experience. Nothing.
No matter what any ad in any magazine or online review or anything says:

It is about you. YOU make it good. Have fun and that will show in your final product. Be creative, have fun. Hit record.

Every time I have ever recorded anything i have learned something.

Evergreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Evergreen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:23 pm

Get a AT 4050 multi pattern condenser and a Beyer m160 hypercardioid ribbon.

You can get a B-stock AT4050 at 8thsteet.com for $350 (i just got 2) and a Beyer M160 for $600. This will give you two great mics and tons of flexability. And you have $50 left over to buy candy.

Tim

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:27 pm

the m-box pres are not great but not terrible.

i think starting off with a $1000 mic is kinda overkill. i mean.. i think you would be better off with a solid $200 condenser and a nice $100 dynamic and a trip to europe.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:39 pm

I'll second the 4050 - a true workhorse of a mic. For a grand, you could put together a very respectable recording chain, especially if you buy used.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:10 pm

you need the right pre for a 4038.

the pre's in the mbox are most certianly the wrong ones.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

luther
audio school

Post by luther » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:49 pm

> You can get a B-stock AT4050 at 8thsteet.com for $350 (i just got 2) and a
> Beyer M160 for $600. This will give you two great mics and tons of flexability. > And you have $50 left over to buy candy.

Wow,
How did you get the B-stock 4050? I couldn't find it on their site. Did you have to call?

thanks
luther

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm

luther wrote:> You can get a B-stock AT4050 at 8thsteet.com for $350 (i just got 2) and a
> Beyer M160 for $600. This will give you two great mics and tons of flexability. > And you have $50 left over to buy candy.

Wow,
How did you get the B-stock 4050? I couldn't find it on their site. Did you have to call?

thanks
luther
Sorry to get your hopes up. It looks like they are gone. I got 2 of them off the website. They came about a week ago. They look perfect, sound great, and have the full warranty so I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I would still recommend the AT4050 at full price though...or I think they are on ebay for about $350-$400 but no warranty.

Tim

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:33 pm

buy a stereo pair of LDC's if you can. i mean, if you're gonna spend $1000, spend $500 twice and make some magic. the day i realized how cool the world sounded with a stereo pair was a fine day indeed and one that i've never turned back from. i'm gonna try and remember to recommend this to everyone who's starting out...

mfdu

Post by mfdu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:53 pm

at least the mbox2 SUPPOSEDLY can take four channels - inbuilt mic pre x 2 and 2 through the s/pdif.

makes it a much better proposition for you as there is a chance to grow.

totally go for the pair of LDC's, maybe even get a decent stereo bar with your spare change.
if you do it right and the LDC's are multipattern (omni/cardiod/fig8) you have heaps of different options - M/S pair using fig8/omni, using both in fig8 to cut down on spill (singer with acoustic gtr type of trick)

being an aussie, i recommend the rode microphones. two NT2000's maybe? or maybe two NT2's? or a pair of K2's if you want some valve in your signal path? http://www.rode.com.au/

but that's just me being patriotic. i love my NT5 matched SDC's but the NT1 is really toppy and crystaline. . .

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:01 pm

I mostly agree with Joel here. The only thing I'd change is to say that, depending on what you're planning on spending, maybe the one best condenser could be taken down to something more middle of the road PLUS something like a middle of the road ribbon. For example (one of many paths), something like an AT 4047 and a Beyer M160 might take you further than one $1200 condenser.

Of course it might not.....that's more for you decide. Though, if the MBox pres are all you currently have, I'd think that a couple different colors of microphone would best suit you.

Then again, if you are only looking to spend $400, I'd say get the best condenser mic you can afford and go from there.

heylow

mfdu

Post by mfdu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 pm

just remember that multiple polar patterns will also come in handy!

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm

wait. seriously, if you don't have much recording experience, and this is your first mic purchase put that $1000 to better use than a stupid mic.

seriously, get like an mxl v67 and an sm57 ($150 total) and a plane ticket to thailand. take a month to have fun and learn a bunch.

your music will be better than a bored dude with a fancy mic.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:48 pm

i started out with a rode NT2 and have gone a long way with it - it's great on all kinds of sources - from lead vocals to acoustic guitars - electrics - great room mic on drums - front of kick - percussion - organ. all around a lot of bang for your buck, very versatile - has a pad, high pass filter and 2 patterns.

i later picked up a tlm 103 which is even sweeter as a vocal and acoustic mic but not miles and miles away from the nt2. paired with a nice pre it can really sing - these are really cheap on ebay.

ribbon mics are cool but i think they're a much more specific sound and less versatile so might not be the best thing to get first - and they need lots of gain which you're not liable to find in the mbox pres.

i agree not to go too high end out of the gates - there's a lot of value in acquiring slowly and hearing the difference rather that going for a big purchase based on someones opinion or hype etc.... good luck !!

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:05 pm

i would say one large diaphram.....and a set of small diaphragm...
ldc..hmmmm 2nd hand tube for around $500....lots of options in here....adk comes to mind.... mxl v69?

small diaphragm....OKTAVA MK012? there's this ebay auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com/OKTAVA-MK012-6-CAPS ... dZViewItem

sorry....really poor with html....+ loaded after rehearsal

stay away from ribbons with that m box....it won't cut it...

maybe save up for the Appogee MiniMe? for use with the spidif?

look for a cool d.i. sansamps come to mind....$150 to $250
your synths will thak you...