Windows tips for a Mac user?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tony moore
pushin' record

Windows tips for a Mac user?

Post by tony moore » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:38 pm

I've been using Pro Tools LE on a Mac for a few years and just never have any problems. I have a PC at home that my wife uses for work and I'd like to use my mBox and PTLE with it. Before I go and screw it up and get her pissed, any setup tips for a Windows idiot? Is there some kind of seperate boot I can do that won't mess her stuff (really just MS Office and some library stuff) up? I would have posted this at the DUC but i don't need to get really deep and tweaky...

Thanks!

Tony

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Re: Windows tips for a Mac user?

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:00 pm

A separate boot is going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth, and much more potentially problematic. As long as you are refering to windows xp in it's latest version, you shouldn't have any problems that could concern her.

However, I've never installed PT on any platforms other than a mac, and that was a long time ago.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 pm

you dont need to ask anything at the DUC. just look at the setup docs and the sticky troubleshooting threads. separate boot proly isn't worth the hassle (or extra 100 bucks for another copy of windows) if you haven't done it before.

Just install it first and see how it goes. tweak from there. most of the reccomended tweaks wont interfere with her stuff.

Will

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:53 pm

Tony,

If she has a fairly modern machine you can do some pretty serious tracking and mixing on her machine and the PT box.

Depending on the OS (Win 98, 2000, XP) Google for optimization of that OS. Turning off features (services) like screen saver, built in beeps, and other doodads can go along way towards making it a pleasant music-making experience. A good start (if your a general cyber-geek) is http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 for the Black Viper set- up.

ASIO4ALL is driver wrapper that helps bring latencies down for a lot of folks, free for a Google.

Welcome to world Gates built (stole?).

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanks guys!

It's a PowerSpec with an Athlon 64 processor, I think it's running at 2. something or other. About 500MB ram, but it's cheap enough for me to bump that up. It running Windows XP. I have an external firewire drive that I use with my Mac rig that I can also use with this and will make keeping things organized easier.

Turning off extra stuff was exactly what I was talking about. I'm lazy and was wondering if there was a way to setup a profile for me that would do all that and then when my wife (or kids) went to their profile it would go back to normal. I know, I'm a bum...

I'll check out those links...

Thanks again!

Tony

fremitus
pushin' record

Post by fremitus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:18 pm

just go to the control panel --> users and make yourself a profile. there will still be a bunch of stuff that loads in the system registry that you prolly want want to screw with so as to keep the peace, but as far as the way you roll, your profile can be as streamlined as can be.