Cincy TapeOpers?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

tony moore
pushin' record

Cincy TapeOpers?

Post by tony moore » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:54 pm

Anyone else here in Cincy, Ohio?

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:36 pm

i used to live in oxford. and then in dayton. those were good times. check out a band from dayton called actually i'm sad. they'll be playing ciny more often. that's my old roommates.

fuck the west
jim!

transmothra
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by transmothra » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:49 am

i'm in Dayton
...do you believe that?
Scarlett 212 1st Gen | Reaper | PreSonus Eris E5/A-T ATH-M20x
transmothra.com

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:54 am

where abouts in dayton? i used to live in riverside, and when i moved out, my roommates moved to the east side, down 5th a bit. i used to intern at refraze as well. that was a good time - best internship i've had. i guess the owners made some changes after i left.

jim!

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:56 pm

i'm at the, er, nexus of Kettering, Centerville, and Bellbrook. where you at now?
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:12 pm

i don't know bellbrook, but i know where you're talking about. that refraze studio i was talking about is in kettering, but on the northern end, near dayton proper.

i had two girlfriends from the middletown/franklin area, and a friend that grew up in miamisburg, so i know my way around the southern parts of dayton a little bit.

see anything cool recording wise or band wise around there lately?

and oh, i'm hanging out in colorado now.
jim!

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:29 am

one of my favorite bands (besides GBV) is from here Lab Partners. and Maëry Lanahan is incredible too.

i'm just a homebody, so i don't hang around the local studios. they wouldn't have me anyway, it's been nearly 15 years now since i went to TRW. i'm happy doing my own thing.
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm

wow, the lab partners. i've been to a handful of shows where they've ended up cancelling. my girl's old boyfriend (ugh) used to book shows for them in oxford. small world.

glad to see another Rec Workshop grad. i did it last year ... was jeff ling around when you went there? man, that guys crazy, but also probably the smartest guy teaching there.

got any recordings of what you've done?

jim!

transmothra

Post by transmothra » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:46 am

yeah, Ling was Chief Engineer! (this is Fall '91.) he's great, totally kooky. one night we weer standing around drinking by a fire, doing whip-its (little nitrous oxide canisters, pretty harmless and the same thing dentists used to us), and he comes driving past in his truck. he stopped, turned around and pulled in, did some whip-its with us, and said "yeah, i got a little slapback goin' on there." a good time was had that night, among many others.

i'm working on mixing some stuff lately, but i never had any decent monitors, so now i'm waiting on a pair of 10 watt Roland DM10s. i used to have some stuff posted on mp3.com until it got bought, then on my own site until the host suddenly vanished this summer. by 2006 i hope to re-post it all again at a new host.
...do you believe that?
transmothra.com

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:46 am

Cincinnati Ohio
represent.

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:44 am

Shit man. I was checking out your web page there and noticed you recorded johnny twenty-three. i saw them a long freaking time ago at the mockbee, and never heard about them again. is there a record i can buy?

also saw that you did sound for the last heartless bastards tour ... i was at the denver show, took a few pictures. it was mighty enjoyable.

jim!

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:27 pm

sthslvrcnfsn wrote:Shit man. I was checking out your web page there and noticed you recorded johnny twenty-three. i saw them a long freaking time ago at the mockbee, and never heard about them again. is there a record i can buy?

also saw that you did sound for the last heartless bastards tour ... i was at the denver show, took a few pictures. it was mighty enjoyable.

jim!
j23 do indeed have a record out.
their website is http://www.johnnytwentythree.com/ - you can get more info there.

the bastards... i don't think i was with them for denver, you must have seen the tour before i hooked up with em. it was a great gig though. those kids are super to travel with and hear play every night. i'm trying to get some work on their next record... but we'll see.

acidwashed
ass engineer

Post by acidwashed » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:42 am

Cincinnati..oh the heartland. I'm close enough so i'll represent. Brian, what's up? You did sound for us at WOXY. The 4192/Sundresses split is real nice.

Heads up Dayton, we're playing Elbo's on Dec. 10th with a great local band called Late nite drivers. Should be a fun time. It's our first time up that way.

peace

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:59 pm

I live in Clifton, in the Gaslight area.

PC

offal
ass engineer

Post by offal » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:44 pm

I'm from the Louisville, KY area originally, but I'm in the Oxford area for a couple of years while my lady goes to Grad school. I do work in Cinci. I love the Southgate House, but it's a bit of a drive. I'm still new here -- any tips on places to find other "indie" shows? Good music stores (i.e. no Guitar Center)? I'm dying up here with no music nerd interaction...