Cincy TapeOpers?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:19 pm

As far as indie shows go, I would check out the Northside Tavern and the Comet, both on Hamilton Avenue in Northside. Go to Cincymusic.com to check out local gigs.

http://cincymusic.com/

I don't know about a cool guitar shop. There is a place called Mike's Music on Vine St. in Clifton that has vintage pieces (not cheap).

PC

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:19 pm

fretware guitars in downtown franklin is pretty cool - lots of old gibson guitars and fender amps. um, you take 73 out of oxford all the way to Middletown (where my girl is from!), and then follow it north through franklin. You'll have to jump over a block or two east off 73 to get to fretware. downtown franklin isn't that big, and fretware has a website, so it should be easy to find.

also mike's guitars on short vine in clifton is pretty cool - big store, lot's of old everything - guitars, basses, folk instr, keys, fender amps. i've never been to the 3rd floor, but i hear it's cool, "secret", etc. short vine is sort of adjacent to the UC campus. the store is like 2 doors south of Bogarts.

jim!

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:24 pm

i second the northside tavern. and check out sudsy malone's - occasinally they have good metal shows - lot's of crap though, and a bit hipster-y. if you do your laundry there during the day you get into the show for free at night, which is pretty sweet.

if you're at the northside, go across the street to the record store. i can't remember the name of it for the life of me right now, but they have a pretty alright selection.

jim!

ps - stay at the southgate house; pretty much every touring act i wanted to see came there eventually. the other places cater to the local scene, which i have no idea about anymore.

pss - i got kicked out of the comet years ago for trying to use a fake ID. the girl let me keep it, which was cool, but i had to miss my friend's show.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:48 am

sthslvrcnfsn wrote: if you're at the northside, go across the street to the record store. i can't remember the name of it for the life of me right now, but they have a pretty alright selection.
http://www.shakeitrecords.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:00 pm

I love the Cincinnati/Newport area we had great fun there on tour..I was looking at real estate there its amazing what you can get there..I mean compared to NY prices..I'm considering moving there..

we made great friends there..Jerry from Theraphosa..hes putting out our new EP on his Phratry label.. http://www.phratryrecords.com/main.html ..I think its his label..Vinny the burrito lady from the Comet is the pants..she let us stay with her and initiated us into her Scott Baio religion..and then she had this friend who taught us the thumb on the forehead fart game..he drove a Herse!

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:11 pm

i used to play in covington, ky on tour a lot, but they closed the awesome venue (radio down). we played at the viper room last time and it was total dook.