Wharfedale Diamond Monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Wharfedale Diamond Monitors

Post by SaneMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:11 pm

So I've been digging through the archives, as I remember hearing a lot of good things about wharfedale in the old TOMB, and all I can find is stuff about the passive version, which everybody loves. I was wondering if anyone's got the active version since the board went down, and how they like them. I'm gonna get a pair of the 8.2's, and can't decide on active vs. passive. Thanks for any input, even just on active vs. passive in general.

mfdu
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mfdu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:03 pm

do you have a good amp? if so, and you need to save money, go the passive.

the actives of course come from the factory as a sorted unit. thus no mismatch problems b/w that old amp you have lying around and the speakers themselves.

i'm happy with passives (on a decent hi-fi amp at present) but i know i can get better out of them with a better amp, so time to build one!

chris.
M.F.D.U.

Will record for whiskey.

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:29 pm

i have the actives. ill say this first, i have no expierence with more expensive monitors. i used to use the diamond 7.1's(the consumer bookshelf speaker). with the 8.2's i can hear the mids alot better, they were pretty much missing on the 7.1's. there is however something that seems not quite right about the lower mids to low end range. theres no way i can articulate what i hear into words, i tried for about 10 minutes but couldnt explain it. i do really like them though and they were a huge step up from the 7.1's, i just check whats going on with the low end in some headphones and im happy.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:13 am

i just got a pair of 8.1 actives..

bottom line if you can make it sound good on them it will translate fairly well anyplace..they are cheap and built well in China..they are worth it imho..

the problem is the lows..they dont have any hardly at all..its just a soft pillow poof..so using them in conjunction with a sub(another double edged sword there) or another set of monitors that have big woofers or are good in the lows is essential..

the mids and high stuff they produce is a bit weird..vocals pop out and guitars sit back a little on referece material..but knowing to make your mixes on them so the vox are poking out just a bit on them and the guitar is a bit further back than sounds "right" is the key..

After some use i might have went with the 8.2's with the six inch woofers instead since they have to have more bass..but the 8.1's are cool enough for me to keep them..

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:43 am

Well, I'm not so sure if these are the way to go anymore... I don't have an amp, but am willing to get one. Maybe the low end would be better with the passives and a decent amp? I've had a tendency to mix stuff bass heavy lately, so the lack of low end sounds dangerous.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:51 am

they put out a decent enough amounts of bass its just not accurate as far as whats on the recording..they are one of the best monitors you can get for the price..and they actually translate unlike 99% of the other and often more expensive monitors..

monitoring in general is a "there is no best" kind of thing..you have to learn to work around the monitor weirdness with whatever speakers in the specific room you are in..the best monitoring situations are out of the price range of most people since they utilize uber expensive components not to mention they have complete rooms and buildings designed around them..

just listen to what records you love sound like on whatever you end up with and try to make your stuff sound like those "reference" records and thats the best you can do really..its what 99% of engineers do everyday..

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:04 pm

I have the actives. The mixes I've done since having them have really translated well.
One of the speakers crapped out pretty quick though. Luckily they're still under warranty and Wharfedale repaired it.