Available kits for DIY assembly

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:17 pm

For sale is the Hybrid 312 PCB. It's based around the API 312 circuit and can also be built up as an M1 circuit, or combinations of the two. They are designed to mount in the same style as the 7th Circle units but can be built up for under 2/3 the cost.

I have full BOMs for three different builds and a power supply available to download, as well as files to get an 8 channel chassis drilled and engraved.

Boards can be bought with a couple potentially hard to source parts.

www.bicyclerecordings.com/312
Last edited by bobschwenkler on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JPK
audio school

SOUND SKULPTOR MP66 : New tube DIY Mic Pre

Post by JPK » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:56 am

I am pleased to announce the birth of the MP66, a single-ended, class-A tube preamplifier, with transformers on input and output.
Available as a kit for DIY or assembled.
It is the fourth module of the Sound Skulptor range which includes 4 microphone preamps based on ?classic? designs. One up to four modules can be freely combined in a 19? case.
For complete information visit our web site at www.soundskulptor.com

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

Post by FiveFish » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:24 pm

The successor to our highly successful SC-1 mic preamp, I present the SC-1mk2 preamp.

Check out the website for packaged deals and discounted combo orders.
http://www.fivefishstudios.com
[url=http://www.fivefishstudios.com[/diy]Lunchbox Preamp Kits and DIY Projects... [/url]

billkahler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by billkahler » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Check tonepad.com for guitar pedals and pcbs.

I'm building the LA2A clone from drip electronics on the DIY Prodigy Pro forum. Not exactly a kit but a PCB and very good manual. Parts are about 800 bucks.
billkahler.com (musician)
prettygoodgig.com (conversations with musical people podcast)
ufofarm.com (organic electronica)

jsteiger
audio school

*I-Store Now Open* Ed Anderson A*P*I transformers and more..

Post by jsteiger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:52 am

Hey All,

We have just recently launched a new Internet Store featuring some great products for DIY projects, restoration, upgrades, mods and some other really cool gear builds. Most everything you will find at the store is inspired by the original, vintage, Audio Processes Incorporated. Transformers are our main components with everything being based on what the original A*P*I used in their products back in the ?70?s. Our transformers can be considered, interchangeable with the originals. The only exception being the modernized footprint of the EA2622 input transformer.

The design engineer behind our transformers is Ed Anderson. You may know of Ed from his work with Purple Audio including the designs of the Odd inductor equalizer and the Tav inductor graphic equalizer.

So, here's what we have going at Classic Audio Products of Illinois

We are the exclusive place to buy the following raw components:

->Ed Anderson?s well-known version of the AP2623-1 transformer. We call it the EA2623-1. Some of you know the story behind it and have purchased them already for DIY 525 builds and such. They should always be in stock. Pricing is $25 each, with breaks down to $20, depending upon qty. Remember, these were the balancing transformers used on the vintage desk channels, not the 2503. We also stock a channel frame mount for these, to give you more mounting options.

->Speaking of the 2503, I mean EA2503, these historic transformers are in stock and will be kept in stock too. Ed has uncountable hours over more than a 3-year span working on these babies. They are the closest thing to a vintage AP2503 since a vintage AP2503, peroid. Pricing is $36 each with qty breaks down to $30.

->Our EA2623-4 transformers are the PCB mount version of the 2623-1, and electronically identical. These were used on the vintage ACA?s in the old desks. Proto?s have been made and are being tested now. Footprint is identical to the originals. Pricing will be around $2 more than a EA2623-1.

->As far as input transformers?we have the EA2622 to offer, which of course is the replica version of the vintage AP2622. These are not currently in stock but due in a few weeks. Ed will not go into production until he is satisfied they are ?just right?. Again, many hours and years in development including numerous prototypes have been gone thru. There is not another input transformer being manufactured that sounds like this. For true vintage tone, this is it. Pricing is $45 each down to $40 for higher qty.

->Next, are finely crafted, black anodized, solid aluminum control knobs. You know the ones! NOT natural?but black. These all have a machined white index line on the top and the side. We will be stocking a few sizes in larger quantities. We will have to see what is most in demand. We will have many different sizes and colors of the PSA colored aluminum inserts in stock too. We have 6 different configurations to start with. Multiple sizes, some with the pointer and some plain. Very bad-ass in black!

->PCB?s are always in development for the vintage style circuits. We currently have a 4-channel inverting PCB to offer. Details are on the site. A 5.5? X 6?, 2 channel, vintage style ACA including 2-325 style booster channels is being built for prototype right now. This is the precise way sub-groups and the 2-mix were summed in the vintage consoles. All discrete monitor return cards have been built and will be offered in the very near future. These are sonically near identical to a vintage input channel. Faceplates and the ?L? PCB mounting brackets will be available as well.

The store is powered by osCommerce with a big thanks to Mike from Hairball Audio for tips, inspiration and a general ?you can do it too? attitude! Visit Mike?s store at Hairball Audio for 1176 components including more of Ed?s transformers.

Stop by, check it out and tell me what you think. Don?t forget to check out the Reference Documents Page for some cool lit and what not.

BTW, a big, major thanks to Ed for his perseverance, pure dedication to his craft and pro audio in general. None of this would be possible without him.

Cheers, Jeff
Visit our Internet Store featuring Ed Anderson's replica A*P*I transformers, killer aluminum knobs and more...www.classicapi.com

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

SC-1mk500 with INPUT TRANSFORMER... 500 API Lunchbox Format

Post by FiveFish » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:27 pm

API 500-Series Lunchbox Format Preamp

SC-1mk500 by FiveFish Studios

Running a special promo... $369 pre-assembled (same price as the kit)... with Input transformers. As pictured above. 1 channel.
Perfect deal if you don't want to DIY and want to buy it ready-made.
[url=http://www.fivefishstudios.com[/diy]Lunchbox Preamp Kits and DIY Projects... [/url]

jsteiger
audio school

Classic Audio Products VP2x 500 series kits now available!

Post by jsteiger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to make everyone aware of our VP2x microphone preamps that we have available for the 500 series format.

They feature custom Ed Anderson input and output transformers. We have a few different DOA options as well. A DIY favorite is the 9 transistor version created by gar381 from Prodigy Pro. We call it the gar2520. Full kits can be found here.

We offer many versions of the VP26 kit. We also have the same options for the VP25 kit. (The only difference is the output transformer.)

Fully assembled and tested units are also available for those who do not like to solder. :D

Cheers, Jeff
Visit our Internet Store featuring Ed Anderson's replica A*P*I transformers, killer aluminum knobs and more...www.classicapi.com

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

X-12mk500 Mic Preamp - 500 Series Lunchbox Format

Post by FiveFish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 am

Available as KITS (and for limited time, pre-assembled and ready-made for same price as Kits)

www.fivefishstudios.com

jsteiger
audio school

New! gar2520 Discrete Opamp Kit

Post by jsteiger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 pm

I would like to introduce the gar2520, discrete opamp kit to all here at TapeOp. We have been carrying these at the store for a little while now with some fantastic results.

The gar2520 is a complete parts/component kit including everything you will need?except for a soldering iron and some electronic assembly skills. The kits are very reasonably priced at $17.50 each for quantities under 10pc. A very detailed pdf assembly guide is provided after the purchase.

Here are a few pics:

What the kit includes

Assembled view 1

Assembled view 2

A build/support thread is maintained over at Prodigy Pro.

The kit was created by Gary Barnett of Barnett Industries, better know as gar381. Gary spent a lot of time developing this project originally for his own personal needs. He was meticulous with his part selection while striving to obtain the sound of the beloved Melville and Huntington era DOA?s of the 1970?s. I think he has gotten as close as you can possibly get, some will say interchangeable at a fraction of the cost. A bonus feature is that all 9 transistors are in current production so there is no need to worry about trying to source discontinued parts.

I have to say from my own personal experience, it is extremely rewarding to spend an hour building a complicated little opamp, plug it in and have it work right off the bat. Not only work, but sound damn good doing it. kfhkh

Cheers, Jeff
Classic Audio Products of Illinois

FiveFish
pluggin' in mics

X-72mk500

Post by FiveFish » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 pm

X-72mk500 Mic Preamp - 500 Series

UK/Carnhill input and output transformers
option to use discrete opamp

Big bottom sounding, punchy, clear...

www.fivefishstudios.com

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Drip Electronics

Post by alkooloid » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:41 pm

This stuff is amazing.
Download the pdf. of one of the offerings.
It's not a kit, as he doesn't send you parts, but his plans are very detailed as to how to obtain everything and build from his boards. The results are off the hook.

http://www.dripelectronics.com/home.html
Don't believe everything you think.

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

bump

Post by ghaines » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:58 pm

I want to tell readers we'll be reviewing the EISEN AUDIO DIY KIT in an future print issue of the magazine. Right now we're working on our pair and they seem very well thought out. We're sourcing input and output transformers and picking an appropriate opamp for the test units.

Also, if you want a good sounding preamp with little risk or ambiguity (no sourcing of parts) the Five Fish SC-1 are wonderful meaty units for little money.

Best,
Garrett
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

Post by SeventhCircle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Although we've been working hard on very interesting new products, we haven't forgotten about our very popular kits. We've made some improvements to make kit assembly even easier, plus we've reduced the lead time and lowered prices on assembled modules.

All complete kits now ship with a Production Devices model 801 lead former

• Use this handy tool to prep resistor leads for a more professional-looking board.
  • Improves solder joints and prevents damage to parts.
All module kits now ship with taped resistors for easy identification and faster assembly.

• Resistors are taped in the same order they appear on the parts list.
  • More accurate than manual sorting, faster than opening individual bags.
  • Makes it harder than ever to install the wrong resistor on the board.
Lower prices and faster lead times for assembled modules
  • Assembled modules (and rebuilds) in 3 to 5 business days.
  • Order an assembled module as a reference and build the rest yourself.
  • Every assembled module ships with test results from our Audio Precision System 2322 analyzer.

• Frequency response, noise, distortion, and more measured at every gain step!
Check our order page for new prices on assembled modules.

Hairball Audio
audio school

Post by Hairball Audio » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Hi All,

I'd like to introduce my DIY electronics store that has been around for about 2 years.

We offer DIY kits for your favorite pushbutton FET compressor. Please check out the KITs section:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22

and our new enclosures:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_i ... ucts_id=51

We are also in the process of posting parts list for all of our kits:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/bom.php

Thanks,

Mike
Hairball Audio, LLC
DIY Parts and Kits
http://hairballaudio.com/shop

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Up coming reviews of DIY stuff

Post by ghaines » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:55 pm

If you're tepid about what these products sound like, Tape Op is scheduled to review many of them.

Right now, the queue is:

> Classic API of Illinois VXP (featuring SLL op amp)
> Seventh Circle T15
> Eisen Audio DIY 500 (based on JLM input, JLM op amp, and Crimson Audio Tranformers output)
> Hairball Audio 1176 Blue Stripe
> Five Fish Studios X-72mk500

As soon as I get 5 grand to spare, I'll be building the Drip Audio Fairchild 670.

If you are a DIY vendor and want to get into the queue, you can write me directly. I'll handle clearance with Andy H. and we'll go from there. Any other vendors (NON-DIY) do not write me as all reviews must go through Andy Hong - no exceptions. Thanks, GH
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA