Tascam Syncaset 134 hum during playback

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jeffelse
audio school

Tascam Syncaset 134 hum during playback

Post by jeffelse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:38 pm

Greetings all,

I have a Tascam Syncaset 134 cassette 4 track recorder. It has a low frequency (60hz) hum that is present during playback. It sounds great otherwise, so I'd like to get rid of the hum. I suspect its capacitors, but I'd like to avoid recapping the whole thing if i can. Can someone help narrow this down for me?

Thanks!
Jeff

Mudfoot Marshall
audio school

Re: Tascam Syncaset 134 hum during playback

Post by Mudfoot Marshall » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am

jeffelse wrote:Greetings all,

I have a Tascam Syncaset 134 cassette 4 track recorder. It has a low frequency (60hz) hum that is present during playback. It sounds great otherwise, so I'd like to get rid of the hum. I suspect its capacitors, but I'd like to avoid recapping the whole thing if i can. Can someone help narrow this down for me?

Thanks!
Jeff
You shouldn't have to recap the whole deck. Use a scope and check the filter caps at the end of the output's signal chain and work your way backwards on the signal flow. You should be able to see where the hum is leaking from and just replace those.

Jake

Mudfoot Marshall
audio school

Re: Tascam Syncaset 134 hum during playback

Post by Mudfoot Marshall » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 am

jeffelse wrote:Greetings all,

Thanks!
Jeff
You shouldn't have to recap the whole deck. Use a scope and check the filter caps at the end of the output's signal chain and work your way backwards on the signal flow. You should be able to see where the hum is leaking from and just replace those.

Jake